Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Simple Strategy for Investment
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author A Simple Strategy for Investment
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: A Simple Strategy for Investment Reply with quote

As the subject of the thread suggests, this is a strategy for investment and hence for BUY only. However, it can also be used for short term trading for as low as few days if one wishes and if one is lucky to be successful. Targets and SLs are to be decided by individuals based on whatever method(s) they follow e.g. TLs, moving averages, wolfe waves, flags, HnS, CnH, phalana dhimka.

Buy when the following conditions are met. They can be used alone or together to add strength to a “buy”.

Necessary condition

1. When price crosses over 200sma on daily chart

Other additives
2. When price is above close price on 31st March of previous year.
3. When price is above one complete FY high (presently it is from 01/04/11)
4. When price is at life time high
5. When price is above the issue price of scrip

Any one or more of conditions 2. to 5. can be used (as applicable) along with 1. to add strength to a “buy”.

Alternate condition

When price is above two complete FY low (presently since 01/04/10)

However, you should be aware of fundamentals of the firm as well. As an example, Kingfisher Airlines is a buy now and one needs to exercise caution by way of a good SL considering its present status. I have bought and my short term target is 30 but long term targets are 70/90. SL can be 12.25/13.30 (200sma)/14.40. Another example is Marksan Pharma.

Since strategy is simple, I don’t expect any doubts. However, I will be pleased to clarify if you ask a query with an example of a scrip. It’s never too late as many scrips are about cross 200sma or have just crossed. Note that this applies to indices as well but doesn’t work so perfectly e.g. a Buy was triggered in nifty on 1st Feb ’12 only i.e. after it had gone up from 4600 to 5200. A Buy was also triggered on 8th June and 27th July.

In addition, clearly, one can think of initiating a “Sell” if prices crosses below 200 sma.

I thought of posting this as it has been used by many a giants. Hope it is useful to you.
falcon
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the alternate condition,

"When price is above two complete FY low (presently since 01/04/10) "

is it "low" or "high"?
vishyvaranasi
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Good Reply with quote

Hi Vinay,

Yes, Infact i too observed some of my close people use this 200 SMA to good extent.

vishy
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcon wrote:
In the alternate condition,

"When price is above two complete FY low (presently since 01/04/10) "

is it "low" or "high"?

It's low falcon. But, as I have said, you MUST know everything possible about fundamentals of the company to make sure it's not a scam.
sandew
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: check Reply with quote

Is this valid only for eod or also for other time frames (with suitable changes in the yardsticks of yearly highs and two year lows) - say 30 minutes or weekly? any study done?
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandew, since it's basically for investment, lower tf will give whipsaws and I don't use it unless I am doing short term trading. But even in that case, buy is always based on eod and SLs on say 60tf. Weekly will give stronger indications but one may miss the bus.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example, Aftek crossed 200sma today. Study fundamentals also before taking a decision.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orissamine crossed 200sma @ 3854 yesterday. Now 4172.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am giving below a consolidated list of scrips that satisfy the criteria given in the first post, to some degree or other. There would be many more and I request you to post them.

KFA, Aftek, Orissamine, tril, venkeys, kirloskarbros, pageind, paperproducts, relcap, ril, relinfra, gail, tataelxi, tatasteel, tv18, tvtoday, bhushan steel, lupin, petronet, geometric, gillette, aban (risky but big reward), acc, abgshipyard, elgiequip, tulsyan nec, optocircuit, autoind and fkonco. Do your own study of companies and for targets and SLs. Note that a few of these may not have crossed 200sma but other indicators e.g. +ww may help it cross it and I am giving them to try to catch them early.
allwayswin
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinay,
what is the suggested s/l for Long once we r in trade by this strategy
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allwayswin wrote:
Vinay,
what is the suggested s/l for Long once we r in trade by this strategy

See the first post. You have to decide SL yourself from one or more of various possible methods to suit your apetite.
Vikas91
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
Orissamine crossed 200sma @ 3854 yesterday. Now 4172.

Today Orissamine made high of 4394 2guns 2guns
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikas, yesterday it's high was 4445
Vikas91
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
vikas, yesterday it's high was 4445

Thanks Vinay for the Info.I was not in the market yesterday.But i bought at 3930 after reading your post
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTPC crossed over 200sma on 18/1/13 and on the same day also went above 30/3/12 prices. Closing above 166.40 my take it up fast to 189-191 above which it will be at 52 week high. Then possibly 204/223/233. Tight SL - closing below 200sma. Tight SL is necessary since it has deceived in the past after crossing above 200sma. In fact, it has hardly remained above 200sma for long periods. Typical public sector firm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Strategies All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: