Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diagonal Spreads - Discussion, Q&A, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> SwingTrader's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Diagonal Spreads - Discussion, Q&A, etc
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #31   PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rk_a2003 wrote:
Thank you so much ST.I felt like you are guiding me in my trade. Laughing

Are there any guide lines for setting profit target or is it purely subjective??

Very Happy

It is a bit subjective due to two different expiry months involved and also the role of volatility. But we can try and come up with a good estimate. For verticals one can come up with a precise estimate as both options expire on the same day. For diagonals on the short option expiry day, the long option will have significant time value left that depends on the implied volatility of the long option on that day. Suppose NF closes on your short option expiry day right at 6300, your short option will expire worthless. Your long option will have 200 pts intrinsic value plus undetermined time value. The profit of your diagonal will depend on this time value component. Now if we assume around 100 pts time value would be left (this is based on current implied volatility) your profit on the diagonal will be around 25% (on your trade cost + margin for the trade). I have found that 20-25% is a good estimate (for max profit) for most winning diagonals. Any sudden increase in volatility would be a bonus. Any sudden decrease in volatility will shave off around 8-10% of the max profit figure (thankfully this does not happen often). This has been my experience with NF diagonals.

My suggestion is to watch carefully after profit reaches 15%. I always assume max profit to be around 20-25% and don't push my luck too much once I see that much profit Very Happy

rkchart
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #32   PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Sir, thank You for strategy,

These are the current call rates for dec and Jan respectively
Strikes - Dec , Jan
6500 CE - 54 , 124.5
6400 CE - 90.7 , 166
6300 CE - 138 , 218
6200 CE - 194.5 , 279
6100 CE - 262.6 , 342

my outlook is bullish
based on your diagonal spread guidelines i have identified SHORT dec 6400 CE / Long jan 6200 ce as strikes.
The hedge % comes to 32.509

Can u confirm if these strikes are appropriate ?
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #33   PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkchart wrote:
ST Sir, thank You for strategy,

These are the current call rates for dec and Jan respectively
Strikes - Dec , Jan
6500 CE - 54 , 124.5
6400 CE - 90.7 , 166
6300 CE - 138 , 218
6200 CE - 194.5 , 279
6100 CE - 262.6 , 342

my outlook is bullish
based on your diagonal spread guidelines i have identified SHORT dec 6400 CE / Long jan 6200 ce as strikes.
The hedge % comes to 32.509

Can u confirm if these strikes are appropriate ?

Yes, the strikes are fine. Do check and confirm the hedge % again when you take the trade with prices at that time.

rajanadar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #34   PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Handling Expiry days during a long trend Reply with quote

Hi ST sir,
Thanks for providing a great information.

I had some questions -
1) How to enter diagonals if we enter a bullish view close to expiry, say three or four days before expiry?

2) How do we handle rollover on the expiry day when we are in trends which might span across months?

Thanks again!
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #35   PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Handling Expiry days during a long trend Reply with quote

rajanadar wrote:
Hi ST sir,

I had some questions -
1) How to enter diagonals if we enter a bullish view close to expiry, say three or four days before expiry?

2) How do we handle rollover on the expiry day when we are in trends which might span across months?

Thanks again!

1. Three/four days before current month expiry, it will be best to go for the next two months and completely ignore the current month. This is because diagonal will not make sense using the current month. Enough hedge will not be possible too close to expiry. 30% hedge may be possible if one goes deeper ITM but going too much ITM also is not suggested so late.

I would say - do not initiate a diagonal in the last week before expiry (using the current month). There is not much time value left in the short option. The time value contributes significantly to the hedging effect of the short option in the diagonal.

2. If the trend seems to continue at expiry, close the short option and short another next month OTM option. This will basically convert the diagonal to a vertical spread that you can hold for one more month.

If the trend still seems to continues after the 2nd month of you holding the position, just initiate a new diagonal for the third month.

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #36   PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6. Diagonal Position Management

Position management is very trader specific. I can give you few guidelines but one will have to develop their own rules that are tuned to their temperment.

1. Before taking the trade decide on an initial stop loss. This can be either NF/NS level based or % loss based. The other alternative is to use a trading system that gives buy and sell signals and stick to those signals for exits too (as one closes and takes trade on the other side).

2. Don't over monitor the position. Keep key levels in mind and just take a look at the position probably once or twice a day. Even this is not required unless price is going fast against your position. The key thing to watch is the long strike price. If NF goes below long strike price, it is time to watch the position carefully as below the long strike price we start losing intrinsic value of the long position. Still, if short position has significant value left in it then that will act as a hedge.

3. As expiry nears it one will have to watch more carefully as gamma picks up for the short option and can result in big fluctuations if price is near the short strike.

4. Have a profit target in mind that is % profit based. 20-25% is usually the max profit for a diagonal (ITM long + OTM short type with steady volatility thru' the trade). Once profit reaches 15% start looking for a reason to get out on a further profit surge intraday. Don't push your luck in the last week before expiry, profit can swing wildly.

5. AVOID HOLDING THE DIAGONAL IN THE LAST THREE DAYS BEFORE EXPIRY. The profit/loss swings will be crazy due to high gamma of the short option. There can be sudden profit surges but a position can go quickly into loss too depending on where NF is at that time.

6. Avoid initiating a diagonal (that uses current month short) in the last 7-10 days before expiry. One may not get a good hedge so late. Going too much ITM for long to get a good hedge is not advisable as it decreases profit potential significantly.

7. Generally, if profit is 15% or more and only three days are left to expiry, consider closing the position.

8. If one wants to carry the position to next month, square off the short option and short the next month option that is OTM (with respect to the long option). This converts the position to a vertical spread. One will then be able to hold the position for another month.

9. There are many other adjustments possible but it is best to keep things simple. I will introduce other adjustments if necessary in the future via examples.

This concludes lessons on Diagonals. Questions are welcome. I will keep posting examples to make things clear.

rajanadar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #37   PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Handling Expiry days during a long trend Reply with quote

Thanks ST sir.

SwingTrader wrote:
rajanadar wrote:
Hi ST sir,

I had some questions -

Thanks again!

1. Three/four days before current month expiry, it will be best to go for the next two months and completely ignore the current month. This is because diagonal will not make sense using the current month. Enough hedge will not be possible too close to expiry. 30% hedge may be possible if one goes deeper ITM but going too much ITM also is not suggested so late.

I would say - do not initiate a diagonal in the last week before expiry (using the current month). There is not much time value left in the short option. The time value contributes significantly to the hedging effect of the short option in the diagonal.

2. If the trend seems to continue at expiry, close the short option and short another next month OTM option. This will basically convert the diagonal to a vertical spread that you can hold for one more month.

If the trend still seems to continues after the 2nd month of you holding the position, just initiate a new diagonal for the third month.
paa
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #38   PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Sir
Please let us know which option spread is suitable in uptrend, downtrend or sideways market?

Regards
Pramod
vvsp
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #39   PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ST,

In continuation to the conversation about taking vertical spreads for 2 to 5 days and 50 to 200 points move in NF, suppose at 6383 NF I got a sell signal and took bearish put spread with long 6400 put and short 6200 put. If NF moves as expected and goes below 6300, is it OK to book profits in 6400 put and buy 6300 put to make the spread long 6300 put and short 6200 put?

Thanks,
vvsp.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #40   PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paa wrote:
ST Sir
Please let us know which option spread is suitable in uptrend, downtrend or sideways market?

Regards
Pramod

For uptrend and downtrend I personally use diagonals a lot for reasons discussed in the lessons. I strongly suggest diagonals if you are looking for limited risk trend trades.

Diagonal can be used for sideways move too as I had shown in an example. But how would you identify a coming sideways move before it starts? At least for up & down move we can use trend indicator based signal and hope the emerging trend continues. If you have some signal for a sideways move then you could look at credit spreads (verticals), iron condor, calendar (imp to have a forecast of declining volatility too) and double diagonal. All these are good for sideways moves. Best to select something and then stick to it so you master its management.

I have traded iron condors & double diagonals a lot in the US markets. The margin requirements here are a bit steep here to trade these. I have still used these here for quite a while. I have mentioned this earlier too - in my main portfolio I always have sideways/range trades like iron condors or double diagonals going on. If price takes off then I adjust the trades and shift the balance of those trades in the direction of the move. But I feel, due to steep margin requirements, diagonals are much better if managed properly. But something like this has to be done over very a long period in a planned way.

I will see if I can post info later about trades to try and benefit from sideways moves. But this will come only after I am done posting various examples of diagonals.

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #41   PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vvsp wrote:
Hello ST,

In continuation to the conversation about taking vertical spreads for 2 to 5 days and 50 to 200 points move in NF, suppose at 6383 NF I got a sell signal and took bearish put spread with long 6400 put and short 6200 put. If NF moves as expected and goes below 6300, is it OK to book profits in 6400 put and buy 6300 put to make the spread long 6300 put and short 6200 put?

Thanks,
vvsp.

You can do that but there are issues doing something like that:

1. For a 100 pt move in NF we will get probably only 30% of the move in a vertical (assuming the vertical has a net delta of 30). Much of the vertical's profit will come slowly through time decay of the short option which will take time. So for a 100 pt move we may only get 30 pts. I don't think it will be worth it to take profit for such a small profit.

2. Rolling down your strike from 6400 to 6300 will book profit on the 6400 put but it will be counter productive if price reverses from there. In this case the resulting vertical can then lose whatever profit you have booked and then more...

The above points are for your thinking. One can still trade verticals for 200 pts moves but the profit could be small so one has to keep that in mind. If you are taking vertical for risk control then it is okay. But try and devise strategy to trade verticals/diagonals for slightly long time...2-3 weeks...so you get full benefit of time decay.

vvsp
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #42   PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwingTrader wrote:
vvsp wrote:
Hello ST,

Thanks,
vvsp.

You can do that but there are issues doing something like that:

1. For a 100 pt move in NF we will get probably only 30% of the move in a vertical (assuming the vertical has a net delta of 30). Much of the vertical's profit will come slowly through time decay of the short option which will take time. So for a 100 pt move we may only get 30 pts. I don't think it will be worth it to take profit for such a small profit.

2. Rolling down your strike from 6400 to 6300 will book profit on the 6400 put but it will be counter productive if price reverses from there. In this case the resulting vertical can then lose whatever profit you have booked and then more...

The above points are for your thinking. One can still trade verticals for 200 pts moves but the profit could be small so one has to keep that in mind. If you are taking vertical for risk control then it is okay. But try and devise strategy to trade verticals/diagonals for slightly long time...2-3 weeks...so you get full benefit of time decay.

Thank you.
paa
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #43   PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ST Sir for your prompt response and valuable information. Please keep posting such valuables!

Regards
Pramod
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #44   PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examples of trading diagonals

Here is what I am planning to do. Instead of posting nicely selected examples which could be unrealistic, I will use a simple technical method to select bullish and bearish trades based on the signals and post examples based on the trade taken for each signal. This will give us all kinds of trades that would be more realistic and will give a good idea of what to expect if one is trading diagonals regularly. I will still have to use EOD data to keep things simple. For this backtest I will start the trades from Dec 2012 and take signals continuously, this should give us full one year.

The technical method is going to be a simple EMA crossover method with a twist on 60 mins NF chart.

*** DISCLAIMER : I AM USING THIS METHOD ONLY AS AN ILLUSTRATION. PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE USING THIS METHOD. ***

Chart Setup : EMA(13) and EMA(89) on 60 mins NF chart.

Buy Signal : EMA(13) crosses above EMA(89) and price then closes above nearest price pivot (daily closing basis). A continuation buy will trigger if price closes above any previous pivot and can be used to initiate a trade if one is not in an existing long trade.

Sell Signal : EMA (13) crosses below EMA(89) and price then closes below nearest price pivot (daily closing basis). A continuation sell will trigger if price closes below any previous pivot and can be used to initiate a trade if one is not in an existing short trade.

The only subjectivity is about the price pivot. I will still try and make the signals as clear as possible. For each signal I will : (a) Post a clear chart with the signal and the reason for taking it, (b) Select a diagonal based on the diagonal strikes selection guidelines (c) Post the P/L table for the diagonal.

Please let me know if there are any doubts about the method.

sambhaji_t
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #45   PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ST,

Thanks a lot once again for your efforts.

One query :

19 NOV 2013 close (6230.50) was above 8 NOV high (6227) then 22 NOV low was 5983 almost 250 points down within next 3 days in such case do we need to keep SL ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> SwingTrader's Corner All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: