Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EoD DMI/ADX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Chart Watch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author EoD DMI/ADX
ConMan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: EoD DMI/ADX Reply with quote

Hi

Just wanted to highlight the importance of ADX along with DMI levels. There are many a times DMI levels are pushed to extremes and we take a contra position basis that. I just want to highlight why is ADX also important along with extreme DMIs.

As you can see in the chart, whenever ADX is below 40 and the DMI is below 10, the impact of the DMI is very less and not very lasting. On the other hand just check when DMI moves to extreme along with ADX moving above 40. The impact is tremendous as this occurs in EoD.

Do share your feedback

Regards
QGM Very Happy

Nifty DMI.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.47 KB
 Viewed:  945 Time(s)

Nifty DMI.png

ridinghood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi qgm

pl let me know what is adx ? is it advance decline ratio?

nd i cant see adx on the chart posted by u! only dmi nd rsi apart from nifty price. pl help.

vry unique observation though!

regs
ridinghood
ConMan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ridinghood

ADX combines +DI with -DI, and then smooths the data with a moving average to provide a measurement of trend strength. Because it uses both +DI and -DI, ADX does not offer any indication of trend direction, just strength.

The blue line in DMI indicator is ADX

Regards
jjm
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: ADX Reply with quote

Dear Ridinghood & All

The ADX is an Oscillator, which measures the strength in the ongoing trend. ADX does not tell the trend as bullish or bearish, but is used to determine whether or not market is trending or trading regardless of its up or down. It indicates a strong trend over 40 and weak trend below 20. The+DI( POSITIVE DIRECTIONAL MOVEMENT) AND - DI(NEGATIVE DIRECTIONAL MOVEMENT) are the lines determining whether the trend is up or down.

1. in strong trend( ADX>40) one should use trend following indicators such as MA and MACD.
2. In weak trend(ADX<20) one should follow momentum indicators such as RSI and Stochastic.
3.When+DI cuts -DI from upside down, It's a bear trend and should prefer only short.
4. When-DI cuts + DI from upside down its a bull trend and should prefer only short.

would you like to have more information..send me a mail.. will provide material on same..

Am alway there in SB just buzz in with your email add..will send you stuff i have on this

Regards,

JJM
ridinghood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi qgm nd jjm

thnx to both of u for ur kind responses!

regs ridinghood
ridinghood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi qgm nd jjm

thnx to both of u for ur kind responses!

regs ridinghood
amitkbaid1008
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear QGM I think you are not explained the chart very clearly. Please mark the example clear for clearing your point about ADX<10. Also the chart is very condensed so not easy to view it correctly.
ConMan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the chart is very condensed ... Its a 3 year chart & will be like this only. You can copy the same and paste it on MS paint then zoom to see the areas marked.

Thanks
ridinghood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx qgm. will do the same!

regs

ridinghood
sherbaaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi QGM,

Nice thread. One of the very good indicator. It would be nice if you can continue this thread and also put more information about ADX.

Regards,
sunrays
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: reliance Reply with quote

triangle pattern in reliance.....
dmi+ dmi- seems to be consolidating in my terms for long .......the blue line also known as adx seems to be consistently trading blw 25 indicating the stock hasn't had a decent lasting momentum based move up/down for long.......can ril deliver this year either up or down

aaa.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.11 KB
 Viewed:  618 Time(s)

aaa.png

psri
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: ADX/DMI Reply with quote

hi jjm,

I think there is atypo error in the post.
in the explanationgiven by u on +D! and -D!, both the scenarios are given as short. One shd be Long... Is it not?

GS
jjm
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Typo error Reply with quote

Dear Psri,,

Embarassed

U r right buddy

Regards,

JJM
ConMan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Sherbaaz

Ill try and post a few....request others to join me in this forum

Regards
jjm
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: ADxellence Reply with quote

Dear All,

While doing google...Got a name of book on ADX.

AdXcellence-power trend strategies by Dr. Charles Schaap.. though not read ... you may get relevant information...

Regards,

JJM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Chart Watch All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: