Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hedging for Unpredictable Events
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Futures & Options
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Hedging for Unpredictable Events
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Hedging for Unpredictable Events Reply with quote

Dear all,

I am short on Bank Nifty Futures 2 lots @ 20037 since 16 Sep 16 with SAR @ 20066.

Can anyone suggest how should I hedge my position for the US Fed decision scheduled today?

regards

rrsekhar
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Short on BNF Reply with quote

Shekhar, If it was me ... and BNF trading at 19834 low AND CMP 19854 THEN I would book profits? ... esp as most likely outcome is freeze on US Fed rate and this may be taken as positive news by our trading community?
Cheers, Prakash Holla
amit.sin
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Short on BNF Reply with quote

In case of events, better to book both lots. You can always enter the market.

Still if you want to carry, its better to book 1 lot and hedge the other lot with next month Future long

pkholla wrote:
Shekhar, If it was me ... and BNF trading at 19834 low AND CMP 19854 THEN I would book profits? ... esp as most likely outcome is freeze on US Fed rate and this may be taken as positive news by our trading community?
Cheers, Prakash Holla
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Prakash and Amit.

I have closed my position.

will reenter tommorow

regards
rrsekhar
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Short on BNF Reply with quote

pkholla wrote:
Shekhar, If it was me ... and BNF trading at 19834 low AND CMP 19854 THEN I would book profits? ... esp as most likely outcome is freeze on US Fed rate and this may be taken as positive news by our trading community? Cheers, Prakash Holla

Shekhar: Very wise of you to close the positions in profit. BNF like AxisB, SBIN, ICICI, etc is very volatile. See how the Fed news bounced BNF back to 20335 hi and CMP 20155 at 1049AM?
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Short on BNF Reply with quote

[quote=Shekhar: Very wise of you to close the positions in profit. BNF like AxisB, SBIN, ICICI, etc is very volatile. See how the Fed news bounced BNF back to 20335 hi and CMP 20155 at 1049AM?[/quote]

Thanks to you sir for advising me.

regards

rrsekhar
onemore_bugga
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: banknifty Reply with quote

what to do in banknifty as for next week expiry?
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: banknifty Reply with quote

onemore_bugga wrote:
what to do in banknifty as for next week expiry?

Are you following 'SH/ Alchemist' thread on delta neutral + theta based BNF trading, I think this logical, systematic approach is BEST?
Prakash Holla
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The put call ratio of Bank Nifty expiry date 29 Sep is 1.318 which indicates bullishness. I guess BNF will expire just below 20500 on 29 Sep.

I am long in BNF @ 20097.. I wanted to go long only @ 20066, but took the trade earlier due to itchy fingers. SAR @ 19997

Very Happy

But I may be wrong

Wink

regards
rrsekhar
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said I may be wrong and how right I was. Wink

Short @ 19997 SAR @ 20145

regards

rrsekhar
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shorted Banknifty @19997 and now in 300 points profit.

SAR is 19872.

Can anyone please suggest how to hedge in order to lock in the profits?

regards

rrsekhar
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Super hit! Reply with quote

Shekhar: Successes not only give confidence but also build up capital so that you are better placed to face the inevitable losses that come? My humble suggestion is look for the bottom and square off your short position= 365 pts profit already?
Then continue studying the position by doing serious paper trading as IF you have held on to the position:
like selling one lot put to offset the short future? The income from selling put will add to your profit and hedge the future against reversal losses?
Please search and DL Michael Catolico's text on hedging options. You can also search for a good text on various option hedging strategies like condor, strangle, etc?
Rgds, Prakash Holla
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed my short positions.
+ 400 points.

For tomorrow long @ 19770 or short at 19740 with SAR @ 19770

regards
rrsekhar
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorted as said but reversed to longs at end of the day.

SAR will be low of 15 min candle closing below 19593

regards
rrsekhar
rrsekhar
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked 50% + 100 points

BNF Oct : SAR 19694

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Futures & Options All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: