Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many lots (e.g.crude/NG/Silver) can I trade at the most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Commodities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author How many lots (e.g.crude/NG/Silver) can I trade at the most?
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why one needs to trade less and trade slower timeframes.

Trade Less. Trade slower timeframes, preferrably one day charts.

prabit wrote:
I have heard that wealth created by some like Buffet, jhunjhunwala and others.But I have not heard that people created real wealth by trading. Can someone give any example.
amitagg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes agreed

So what's the view on

- metals
- energy
- Agri major ones
- bullion

Generally because with a day's timeframe it is possible to have a slightly longer view as well which may ( or may not) change by infra gyrations

Would simple price action do!!!

Does the Tunnel end by absorbing all knowledge and then just fine tuning a simple set up ( albeit with some edge possibly) and not all fancy stuff

Would not then the "instrument universe" becomes larger and larger and inter market analysis comes in and seeks specific refinements to same strategy

Having a scaling up position or business is another matter ( or a matter of course) ... Time is short for all!
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural Gas is volatile. Just not the compound but the price. Especially on Thursday evenings avoid it like the plague. It can ruin you in minutes. On the day chart it has one of the worst trends.

Copper, Nickel and Zinc have fairly okay trends on day charts but not that good on hourly charts. But they are not as volatile as NG.

Silver and Gold, well they are Silver and Gold ! Smoother trends

Lastly Crude Oil sometimes is very smooth and sometimes erratic.

I generally focus on Silver, Gold and Crude.

Ah..rest of the mail ..."instrument universe" and intermarket analysis could not understand much, or let's say, choose not to break my sweat over it. That's the deal. Trade only when it seems obvious enough and compelling enough. That vision of course takes years to develop with some solid understanding on whether to use the 8/34 crossover or the Ichimoku clouds to make a judgement call on the trend direction.

Lastly scaling up is the heart of this thread and sadly I am yet to get even a ball park answer like the "100 lot" level Alchemist pointed out about Nifty.

Regards,

Oppo

amitagg wrote:
Yes agreed

So what's the view on

- metals
- energy
- Agri major ones
- bullion

Generally because with a day's timeframe it is possible to have a slightly longer view as well which may ( or may not) change by infra gyrations

Would simple price action do!!!

Does the Tunnel end by absorbing all knowledge and then just fine tuning a simple set up ( albeit with some edge possibly) and not all fancy stuff

Would not then the "instrument universe" becomes larger and larger and inter market analysis comes in and seeks specific refinements to same strategy

Having a scaling up position or business is another matter ( or a matter of course) ... Time is short for all!
Very Happy
amitagg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8/34 crossover would work well on copper for the most

Nickel would have 70-80 point rise or fall Ken way and then reverse ( or breakout) ... So play contra at after this 70-80 point level

Crude also respecting 200EMA on 30th besides the 64th ST trades

Silver and gold trade pivots mid way

Crude best on pivot play

One can use Gaan also for trend direction ( or better said for exhaustion of trend or start there of)

One question - (just for curiosity not to apply in my trading)

Ichimoku which specific filter used and which time frame or multiple time frame analysis

Thanks
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strictly trade the trend. For understanding the trend I use many standard tools including Ichimoku, though I dont entirely rely on one indicator. Once I am convinced of the trend then I enter using Trailing SL.

To most Ichimoku is seen as very complicated and confusing. Once you understand ichimoku then you can use in any time frame. However, it is a general wisdom that to make money one must use slower time frames. At least 1 hr frame or above. I do it 1 day nowadays. Helps keep blood pressure in check. Smile

Trading with pivots is a narrow way of looking at things. Trading demand and supply zones is a better approach.

amitagg wrote:
8/34 crossover would work well on copper for the most

Nickel would have 70-80 point rise or fall Ken way and then reverse ( or breakout) ... So play contra at after this 70-80 point level

Crude also respecting 200EMA on 30th besides the 64th ST trades

Silver and gold trade pivots mid way

Crude best on pivot play

One can use Gaan also for trend direction ( or better said for exhaustion of trend or start there of)

One question - (just for curiosity not to apply in my trading)

Ichimoku which specific filter used and which time frame or multiple time frame analysis

Thanks
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #21   PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Great ideas Reply with quote

opportunist wrote:
I strictly trade the trend + trading demand and supply zones is a better approach.

Great ideas work for every body

Another consistent performer in IC, is Just Trade. He uses demand supply analysis, to trade NF. His success can be seen from holidays spent in Goa, from his base in Bombay, on a regular basis, financed by his share based income!
And like you, he is eager to share his ideas with ICharts fellow travelers
No wonder ICharts is the #1 share and commodity trading website, in apro Bharat, seeing that we have fantastic support from admin, incl charts, + great fellow travelers
Cheers, Prakash Holla
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #22   PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Great ideas Reply with quote

Holla saab,

I plan to start a trade guidance service on icharts soon just like so many of us. It would be a trend following strategy. But not intraday. It will basically be my ongoing trades.

Regards,
Oppo

pkholla wrote:
opportunist wrote:
I strictly trade the trend + trading demand and supply zones is a better approach.

Great ideas work for every body

Another consistent performer in IC, is Just Trade. He uses demand supply analysis, to trade NF. His success can be seen from holidays spent in Goa, from his base in Bombay, on a regular basis, financed by his share based income!
And like you, he is eager to share his ideas with ICharts fellow travelers
No wonder ICharts is the #1 share and commodity trading website, in apro Bharat, seeing that we have fantastic support from admin, incl charts, + great fellow travelers
Cheers, Prakash Holla
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #23   PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Great ideas Reply with quote

opportunist wrote:
Holla, I plan to start a trade guidance service on icharts soon just like so many of us. It would be a trend following strategy. But not intraday. It will basically be my ongoing trades. Regards, Oppo

No need to reply
Thank you in advance for the valuable inputs we will be getting shortly. And I reiterate that this sharing funda is a main reason why Icharts is the #1 share and commodity trading website in India
Cheers, Prakash Holla
AmitSwl_FnO
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #24   PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes oppo after a while saturation sucks in....that is business in general.

In order to answer your question which is even more important in commo. market...how many lots one can trade before slippage becomes a pain

this shall depend on the "minimum time period" which takes for you to execute a limit order (although you may be using market order in trend trading since the prices may not retrace after a breakout.)

You need to start from 30sec charts up-to 3min charts to find the minimum time period of execution historically for 10-20days where the prices retrace to limit order ...for example let us assume you need to sell an instrument at 948.15....ticker breaks-out and the price slips to 947.90..from this time you need to see the minimum time in which the price retraces back..You
would get an average idea.(although a market order may be used in actual trade)... The volume on this time frame of the chart will serve you as a guide ...For Nifty futures around 500 contracts exchange hands in 1 min...thus i can easily trade 150 nifty within next 1min or so after ticker breaks out...I have to live with the ticker slippage on this time frame...no escape...that is why it is best to trade high liquid- high volume instruments.
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #25   PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amit,

You have correctly understood my question. I just checked with the Crude chart for 1 min. The min volume in a minute is around 50 lots. For Silver (30kgs) it is around 5 lots. Which means chance of slippage in Silver is much higher and any trade over 5 lots can meet slippage issues.

The best way to approach this problem is to give a SL-M order wherein slippage is avoided as it becomes a market order after SL trigger is set off. So even if all the lots dont get filled in upon reaching SL they would in few points down the line.

Regards,
Oppo

AmitSwl_FnO wrote:
Yes oppo after a while saturation sucks in....that is business in general.

In order to answer your question which is even more important in commo. market...how many lots one can trade before slippage becomes a pain

this shall depend on the "minimum time period" which takes for you to execute a limit order (although you may be using market order in trend trading since the prices may not retrace after a breakout.)

You need to start from 30sec charts up-to 3min charts to find the minimum time period of execution historically for 10-20days where the prices retrace to limit order ...for example let us assume you need to sell an instrument at 948.15....ticker breaks-out and the price slips to 947.90..from this time you need to see the minimum time in which the price retraces back..You
would get an average idea.(although a market order may be used in actual trade)... The volume on this time frame of the chart will serve you as a guide ...For Nifty futures around 500 contracts exchange hands in 1 min...thus i can easily trade 150 nifty within next 1min or so after ticker breaks out...I have to live with the ticker slippage on this time frame...no escape...that is why it is best to trade high liquid- high volume instruments.
AmitSwl_FnO
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #26   PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the minimum time i referred will depend on your holding period , size of account...for example slippage is tolerable if you have high risk reward ratio.
YOu have to check atleast 10-20days or data for 10-20 trades as suitable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Commodities All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: