Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Income Tax calculation methods for trader - Experts advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Income Tax calculation methods for trader - Experts advice
acharyams
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Income Tax calculation methods for trader - Experts advice Reply with quote

My sister has a trading account where she trades in nifty future. She is a house wife.
Can anybody tell how her tax liability will be calculated?

Last edited by acharyams on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: IT calculation methods for trader - Experts advice sough Reply with quote

acharyams wrote:
My sister has a trading account where she trades in nifty future. She is a house wife.

like a regular income, because it is the primary source of income for "her".
beowulf
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too need some basic advice here.
I have a full time job and sometimes trade in FnO.

Is my FnO income considered to be business income, does this have to be audited by a CA. Also in this case, does an individual have to declare assets and liabilities...?

Thanks,
Beo
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beowulf wrote:
I too need some basic advice here.
I have a full time job and sometimes trade in FnO.

Is my FnO income considered to be business income, does this have to be audited by a CA. Also in this case, does an individual have to declare assets and liabilities...?

Thanks,
Beo

assets and liabilities need to be declared if your main filing of income/return is pertaining to a particular business you do.

i do not know your salary, or earning figures from the market... it depends on what they are and under which head they need to be filed.
singh.ravee
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Income Tax calculation methods for trader - Experts advi Reply with quote

acharyams wrote:

In case of futures trader, one can treat it as business income. business income here is mtm that u get or pay. the net difference of it. one can book expenses like telephone internet and all. whatever remains after that is ur income and pay tax accordingly.
this is how my ca is doing it.
better is to consult ca.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f&o income is ALWAYS a business income. Tax audit is required if turnover is 60 lacs or more. However, this is where there is a lot of confusion. Some CAs say that turnover is the sum of gains only i.e. excluding losses while some say it is total turnover e.g. 50*5600 is turnover if one bought/sold 1 lot of NF.

If one buys and sells a stock (and not its fut) in the same day or vice versa, it's a speculative income.
jgd008
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
f&o income is ALWAYS a business income. Tax audit is required if turnover is 60 lacs or more. However, this is where there is a lot of confusion. Some CAs say that turnover is the sum of gains only i.e. excluding losses while some say it is total turnover e.g. 50*5600 is turnover if one bought/sold 1 lot of NF.

If one buys and sells a stock (and not its fut) in the same day or vice versa, it's a speculative income.

Hi
As per Guidance Note on Tax Audit - Issued by ICAI
i. The total of favourable and unfavourable differences shall be taken as turnover.

ii. Premium received on sale of options is also to be included in turnover.

iii. In respect of any reverse trades entered, the difference thereon, should also from part of the turnover.

Hope This helps

Regards
prabit
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgd008 wrote:
vinay28 wrote:

Hi
i. The total of favourable and unfavourable differences shall be taken as turnover.

iii. In respect of any reverse trades entered, the difference thereon, should also from part of the turnover.

Hope This helps

Regards
In my knowledge, in f&o turnover is total of profit and loss.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgd008 wrote:
vinay28 wrote:

Hi

Hope This helps

Regards

thanks, that's good clarity.
acharyams
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apka wrote:
jgd008 wrote:
vinay28 wrote:

Hi

Hope This helps

Regards

thanks, that's good clarity.

with one example please, friends. For small traders trading with one or two lots of nifty future or option
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Education All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: