Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased
sangi
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rk_a2003 wrote:
sonila wrote:
Rk, one doubt, plz clear it. Suppose, i m long in nf @ 5810 and put a sl of 5780. Then if suddenly a freak trade happens and nf falls by 200 pt for a moment only, then i will loose only 30 pt or more than this ?

Sonila,

There will be trigger price and limit price in your SL order. Say your trigger price is 5780 and limit is 5775. During the fall if sufficient volume of orders (sufficient enough to absorb your order also) executed between 5780-5775 your SL order will be executed. If there are no sufficient orders executed in this range your SL order will remain unexecuted and nifty may go down 900 points also and if it remains there, you have to bear that 900 points loss. It’s just theoretical. Practically it may not happen for the reason that Nifty is highly liquid.

Once I have an experience in an individual scrip (not Nifty) during my early trading days that my SL triggered and order not executed. I covered it at lower level enhancing my loss.

So theoretically SL cannot be fool proof. Trading in the market is like walking on a terrain with full of land mines.

S. RK Sir, you r right. I hv also experienced the same thing with so many srips. though liquid, If buyers r not available at tht time for ur SL price, leaving our SL order unexecuted, then we r forced to cover at lower rates.
iakash
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sangi wrote:
rk_a2003 wrote:
sonila wrote:
Rk, one doubt, plz clear it. Suppose, i m long in nf @ 5810 and put a sl of 5780. Then if suddenly a freak trade happens and nf falls by 200 pt for a moment only, then i will loose only 30 pt or more than this ?

Sonila,

There will be trigger price and limit price in your SL order. Say your trigger price is 5780 and limit is 5775. During the fall if sufficient volume of orders (sufficient enough to absorb your order also) executed between 5780-5775 your SL order will be executed. If there are no sufficient orders executed in this range your SL order will remain unexecuted and nifty may go down 900 points also and if it remains there, you have to bear that 900 points loss. It’s just theoretical. Practically it may not happen for the reason that Nifty is highly liquid.

Once I have an experience in an individual scrip (not Nifty) during my early trading days that my SL triggered and order not executed. I covered it at lower level enhancing my loss.

So theoretically SL cannot be fool proof. Trading in the market is like walking on a terrain with full of land mines.

S. RK Sir, you r right. I hv also experienced the same thing with so many srips. though liquid, If buyers r not available at tht time for ur SL price, leaving our SL order unexecuted, then we r forced to cover at lower rates.

Why would one be forced to cover at lower rates?... wouldn't one have the option to wait for a favourable price?.... coz price does revert back significantly after such a freak trade...
sangi
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iakash wrote:
sangi wrote:
rk_a2003 wrote:
sonila wrote:

Sonila,

Why would one be forced to cover at lower rates?... wouldn't one have the option to wait for a favourable price?.... coz price does revert back significantly after such a freak trade...

I am not talking abt freak trades. in normal situation if buyers r not available at ur SL price, ur sl would get triggered, but order not executed. I cannot hold a trade in this case as SL is a SL.
renga123
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haps

Refer RK's explanation that will be sufficient to clear your doubts.
Once SL order is placed by the system and the price goes below your price during that particular moments and not retraced back to your price then your price never be executed unless you modify the order even it goes to 5000 or less.
Ex: Your stoploss order Trigger price 5700 : SL - 5695

Now stoploss order is triggered and the system will place the order for 5695. During this time , huge sell order comes below your price i.e 5690 or below, this will be executed first (since this is best price compared by your price) and price exchange happens below your price and it goes down till 5000 etc ... Unless you modify again and say market price or current limit price ,your order will be lying at 5695 only. Hope it is clear now..

This situation will arise if you place the very small stop loss from trigger price or Very Strong down move due to bad news or any events.
Same thing is applicable for Higher side also.

Renganathan
Vevensa
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends,

Yesterday I did not trade to attend personal work.

It is my normal practice to place stoploss-market order i.e. I give trigger price and when market reaches trigger price, order will be executed at market price. What would have happened to my SL-M order in yesterday's situation?

Hereafter, should I change to regular stoploss order i.e. give both trigger and limit prices and take the risk of the order not getting executed due to non-availability of seller/buyer at quoted price?

Your suggestion please.

Thanks.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #21   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vevensa wrote:
Hi friends,

It is my normal practice to place stoploss-market order i.e. I give trigger price and when market reaches trigger price, order will be executed at market price. What would have happened to my SL-M order in yesterday's situation?

Hereafter, should I change to regular stoploss order i.e. give both trigger and limit prices and take the risk of the order not getting executed due to non-availability of seller/buyer at quoted price?

Your suggestion please.

Thanks.

Whatever we say would be speculation... in reality whether ur market SL executes 10 points below ur trigger price or 20 points .. nobody can say for sure...
prabit
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #22   PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vevensa wrote:
Hi friends,

Your suggestion please.

Thanks.
Vevensa, I also put SL-M order. I give an example to answer your question. Suppose A trader was long in nifty future and he put a SL-M order at 5790. now there was a freak order at 5000 and immediately his order becomes a market sell order. Now imagine how much he would lose! Now I shall always put SL-L order. But in such situation NSE should cancell all trades.
Rahulsharmaat
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #23   PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about all these trades

I had --

1} Punj long from 49--- which was 58--n went to 55-- n back to 57

2} had short M&M at 882-- this circuit didnt do anything on there covered at 872

3} i had short Rel infra-- which i covered and went long at 542--

4} in that panic --yes i bought Jaicorp-- Arss-- Bharti ship { went 9% up }

Aptech ---- nifty i longed at 5750-- in hand--

so for me-- i had long as well short--so it was ok-- rest biggies know
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #24   PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends: Mostly (if not all) freak trades happened in Nifty 50 scrips. Is there a lesson there for us? I think yes. There are good positional scrips, with volumes and swing, like Adani Enterp, BEML, BGREnergy, IBRealEst (these I know) and you know more which we can trade safely without attracting unwanted attention of biggies. And yes, let us put stop loss with due caution. Prakash Holla
GHAISAS
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #25   PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prakash - Congrats for Yellow Belt.

Keep up

ghaisas

NB Noted contents - very important - because we normally focus on Nifty 50 - which does not mean that others are 'bad'.
umesh1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #26   PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prakash
Congrats for the Yellow belt,
rgrds
amolala
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #27   PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Wrong No. Sends Nifty Crashing

Instead of selling stocks worth . 34 lakh, Emkay stock trader erroneously punches orders amounting to . 650 crore

On a quiet Friday morning, a young trader at a Mumbai brokerage made what could be the biggest mistake of his life — confusing the value of a client’s order with the number of shares. Instead of selling stocks worth . 34 lakh, he punched in orders that amounted to a . 650-crore selloff. Within seconds, the market went into a tailspin and his employer Emkay Global was left scrambling for cash. It was a reminder that the stock market, often perceived as a barometer for economic prosperity, could be amazingly vulnerable. The bellwether Nifty crashed by 900 points (more than 15%) amid heavy volumes and the market shut down for 15 minutes, with arbitrageurs, who cash in on the difference between the spot and futures markets, taking a heavy hit. Friday’s development may be raised at the meeting between Finance Minister P Chidambaram and the Sebi board. Emkay, whose trading terminals have been frozen following the incident, will have to organise funds by Tuesday to resume business. The brokerage did not ask National Stock Exchange to cancel the trades, but bought back the shares at a higher price. In the bargain, it is set to have taken a blow of around . 80 crore, of which a portion was organised on Friday itself. The brokerage, which has a net worth of . 148 crore, has assured NSE that it was arranging funds and would meet its obligation early next week. Emkay Global executed the trade on behalf of an institutional client for a socalled basket order for sale of Nifty shares such as ITC, Tata Motors and Reliance Industries, etc. “The intention was to sell . 34 lakh worth of shares in two tranches of . 17 lakh each. But the orders were executed inadvertently as “17 lakh Nifty to be converted into a basket”. It made all the difference as the value of sale was replaced by the quantity to be sold… The dealer has not been sacked,” said a person aware of the transaction. But the market snapped its four-day winning streak and ended in the red at 5,747, down 0.7%. Emkay shares dropped 10% to . 31.10. Though the broker squared off the trade after the market plunged, it has opened itself to an investigation by NSE and probable action by Sebi. “While the exchange systems functioned normally without any glitch, the above-abnormal trades caused market closure automatically due to the index circuit filter getting triggered,” NSE claimed. Trading, which stopped at 9:51 am, resumed at 10:05 am. “The event,” said UR Bhat, MD, Dalton Capital Advisors, “brings to bear control failures at multiple levels. With ITenabled systems allowing easier intervention and controls, theoretically such a situation should not have arisen.”
HOW IT ALL WENT
WRONG
9.15 am
Market opens
normally, NSE’s Nifty declines 0.47%
9.50 am
Nifty crashes
over 10% triggering the circuit filter, trading automatically stops
9.51 am
Only existing
orders executed, Nifty falls nearly 15.5%, or 900 points
10.00 am
NSE
re-opens trade with pre-open session
10.05 am
Pre-open
session ends; normal trading resumes
11.17 am
NSE issues first clarification saying circuit filter triggered on account of abnormal orders
11.52 am
NSE issues second clarification that said the entry of 59 erroneous orders resulted in multiple trades for an aggregate value of over 650 crores
12.46 pm
NSE says it has stopped Emkay Global Financial Services from trading Emkay Biggest Loser, but Some Gain too
Since the 15% fall was the result of an erroneous order rather than marketwide panic, trading was not halted for the mandatory two hours, according to an NSE official.
Other stocks in the basket sale included ITC, Tata Motors, Reliance Industries,Hindustan Unilever,Infosys, ICICI Bank, HDFC and HDFC Bank. While Emkay stands to be the biggest loser, gainers would be those who picked up the blue-chip shares at the day’s rock-bottom price. For instance, 8 lakh Tata Motor shares changed hands at Rs 242 apiece, 21% below the previous closing price. Similarly, 5 lakh HUL shares were purchased at Rs 446, or 21% below their previous close.
“The market circuit filter got triggered due to entry of 59 erroneous orders that resulted in multiple trades for an aggregate value of over Rs 650 crore,”saidtheNSE releasesoon after the order.
Since the client was an institution, the exchange system accepted its order without any margin. Also, since the stocks in the basket were part of the futures and options segment, price limits did not apply to them and trading was halted only after the Nifty hit the lower circuit.
NSE, which will complete its investigation on Monday, is examining whether front-end checks and balances were in place at the brokerage. “The mandated cooling off period is to allow market participants gather their wits,” said Rajesh Baheti, MD, Crosseas Capital Services. “Clearly, Friday’s event resulted from a punching error and since the futures of the shares concerned did not react, trading resumed much sooner. It was not a market-wide crisis.”
However, despite matters having returned to normal post the small trading shutdown, questions from a few brokers went abegging. For instance, why did the broker place market orders (where share purchases or sales happen at the prevailing market price) instead of limit orders (where price for sale or purchase is specified) for a such a large order? Why was there no limit on the maximum order size or built-in risk management system that could prevent execution of an order beyond a particular size?
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #28   PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Now attempt to put white wash on entire episode! No one wants cracks in the wall and dirty laundry exposed to sunlight! Other brokers line up to support Emkay! NSE pretends nothing serious happened
2 I have written to NSE that it is a must that even individual stocks must have circuit breakers.
In addition to overall say 10% for entire day (after which trading suspended for rest of day) there must be CB of 5% for rolling period upto 2 hours back from present moment. As soon as triggered, halt trading for 0.5 hour in that scrip
3 Is it attempt by brokers owing allegiance to BSE to put NSE in a bad light? With BSE FnO taking off in a big way, dirty tricks are more and more likely between the 2 camps. To add masala to situation, 3rd exchange MCX is starting stock trading after Diwali.
Cheers, Prakash Holla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: