Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased
bugs3003
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased Reply with quote

Today a popluar news website posted the above heading and below information:

"A flash 900-point crash in the National Stock Exchange's index Nifty this morning eroded an estimated Rs 10 lakh crore of investor wealth, though for a brief period"

I was a bit confused with this statement.
As per my understanding, if certain investors lost 10lakh crore (assumption stop losses were trigerred) it means certain other investors made a profit of 10 lakh crore.

Am a little new to the market.
Requesting seniors help me to understand this
rk_a2003
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased Reply with quote

bugs3003 wrote:

"A flash 900-point crash in the National Stock Exchange's index Nifty this morning eroded an estimated Rs 10 lakh crore of investor wealth, though for a brief period"

As per my understanding, if certain investors lost 10lakh crore (assumption stop losses were trigerred) it means certain other investors made a profit of 10 lakh crore.

The figure is not actual.It's just notional.But there should be actual losses mostly to common traders and even to institutional traders.Unless exchange tell us we may not be knowing it.In USA such trades will be reversed.It's India...... nothing will happen.
amitkbaid1008
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased Reply with quote

rk_a2003 wrote:
bugs3003 wrote:

The figure is not actual.It's just notional.But there should be actual losses mostly to common traders and even to institutional traders.Unless exchange tell us we may not be knowing it.In USA such trades will be reversed.It's India...... nothing will happen.

rk_a2003

Figure is notional considering this is true. But this is not true that "other investors made a profit of 10 lakh crore" because at that point of time when NIFTY has nosedived by 900 points that other investor who probably bought does not made any profit. So the statement is right but not your perception.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blessed are those who hit enter buy order @ market price for any of the scrips just half a millisecond before emkay hit sell.
rk_a2003
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Nifty crash: Rs 10 lakh cr investor money erased Reply with quote

amitkbaid1008 wrote:
rk_a2003 wrote:
bugs3003 wrote:

rk_a2003

Figure is notional considering this is true. But this is not true that "other investors made a profit of 10 lakh crore" because at that point of time when NIFTY has nosedived by 900 points that other investor who probably bought does not made any profit. So the statement is right but not your perception.

Amit,
I never said that "other investors made a profit of 10 lakh crore".What i am talking about is regarding the losses occured to the people whose stop losses were triggered and about the people who covered there long postions out of panic and i am terming them as actual losses.

When Prakash and me profited from this event out of sheer luck what about the people who booked their losses out of this event.?.
sonila
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rk, one doubt, plz clear it. Suppose, i m long in nf @ 5810 and put a sl of 5780. Then if suddenly a freak trade happens and nf falls by 200 pt for a moment only, then i will loose only 30 pt or more than this ?
iakash
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sonila,

Hope u don't mind me answering ur qtn.... i have experience of being on both the right and the wrong side of a freak trade....

One fine day in March this year, i was long in Minifty futures and someone entered an erroneous order of 3512 instead of 5312... this lead to triggering of many stop losses including mine...

Fortunately, my stop loss order got executed at the stop loss price specified by me and not at some freaky low value....

What's sad is, the freak trade got me out of a profitable trade...

Nothing was done at tht time to protect investor confidence and nothing will be done now or in the future... the freak trade was later cancelled by NSE and wiped out of the records but no trades that were triggered due to the freak trade were reversed... NSE just did a patch up work to save their a**
sonila wrote:
Rk, one doubt, plz clear it. Suppose, i m long in nf @ 5810 and put a sl of 5780. Then if suddenly a freak trade happens and nf falls by 200 pt for a moment only, then i will loose only 30 pt or more than this ?
renga123
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sonila,

Your stoploss order will not be executed unless trigger price is hit during that particular time. Let's say Trigger price is 5700 and stop Price is 5695, suddenly nifty goes down from 5710 to 5690 (20 point jump), stop loss order will not be triggered by the system. Other possiblilty is that your system is triggered and order is placed at the price 5695 and there is no buyer at that moment, price has come down below 5695 . Hope it is clear.

Regards
Renganathan
sonila
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renga123 wrote:
Hi Sonila,

Your stoploss order will not be executed unless trigger price is hit during that particular time. Let's say Trigger price is 5700 and stop Price is 5695, suddenly nifty goes down from 5710 to 5690 (20 point jump), stop loss order will not be triggered by the system. Other possiblilty is that your system is triggered and order is placed at the price 5695 and there is no buyer at that moment, price has come down below 5695 . Hope it is clear.

Regards
Renganathan
....but i dont get ans to my querry......
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonila wrote:
renga123 wrote:
Hi Sonila,

Regards
Renganathan
....but i dont get ans to my querry......

If you have bought something and kept a SL and this type of bulk selling is done, your loss will be your SL.

What renga123 is saying is likely when buyers vanish and sellers were at the same price like an illiquid stock. rarely happens in nifty future, but difference of 5 points from trigger price is good enough to get your SL triggered and not worry about flash falls.
haps2trade
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sonila,

The answer to your question must be YES. Somebody's loss is some one's gain. Just because money, like energy, can not be created and can just be transferred.

In this case let us analyze how one SL gets executed. If you are on long at say 5790 and kept a sell SL at 5745, and if the market goes down, your SL will be executed at 5745 ONLY if some one buys it at that point. If no buyer available, its a simple case that your shares will not be sold at 5745 and thus will have to be sold at a lower value where a buyer is ready to buy.

Hope this hepls.

Cheers

Haps
haps2trade
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renga123 wrote:
Hi Sonila,

Regards
Renganathan

Hi Renganathan,

Now I'm confused. Sad( .. Lets take the case above. Trigger: 5700; SL: 5695. A freak trade happened and the scrip touches 5000. Will my SL be executed at 5000?

OMG !!!

Cheers

Haps
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends: Has it never happened to you? Stop loss triggered but NOT executed?.
It usually happens when 2 brokers play games. One runs an algo based buy and one runs an algo based sell to together LET US SAY plunge LT by 100 points in few seconds. So CMP plunges from 1698 to 1598 with brief stops on the way. If you put candlestick display of this period you will see gaps as the price plunges. So, if price plunges from 1698 - 1685- 1666 ...... 1598 and your SL is at 1695, it may be triggered but NOT executed. You need to cancel the existing SL and place fresh order
Prakash Holla
rk_a2003
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonila wrote:

Sonila,

There will be trigger price and limit price in your SL order. Say your trigger price is 5780 and limit is 5775. During the fall if sufficient volume of orders (sufficient enough to absorb your order also) executed between 5780-5775 your SL order will be executed. If there are no sufficient orders executed in this range your SL order will remain unexecuted and nifty may go down 900 points also and if it remains there, you have to bear that 900 points loss. It’s just theoretical. Practically it may not happen for the reason that Nifty is highly liquid.

Once I have an experience in an individual scrip (not Nifty) during my early trading days that my SL triggered and order not executed. I covered it at lower level enhancing my loss.

So theoretically SL cannot be fool proof. Trading in the market is like walking on a terrain with full of land mines.
GHAISAS
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rk - thanks for reconfirmation I had practically experienced this situation. Your reconfirmation have cemented doubts of many including me.

kind regards,

ghaisas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: