Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pair Trading - How big money trades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Pair Trading - How big money trades
Alchemist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Pair Trading - How big money trades Reply with quote

After trading for almost last 10 years very actively and sharing a lot of strategies with fellow traders, what I found was that each strategy had its own pros and cons... every strategy will have a good run but every now and then will also have a bad run which will cause huge drawdowns in any accounts.

Now while an individual trader can live through these ups and downs, however the professional traders/hedge funds who keep getting fresh capital infusion through new customers every month cannot live with a probability of running into a 'bad series of trades' in any month. This is for 2 reasons:

1) While the existing customers may live through it, the new customers added that month may get huge losses and that may lead to exodus and bad reputation.

2) When trade with huge quantities, small yet consistent returns per month matter more to customers than large but sporadic or inconsistent profits.

So they create strategies which do not completely rely on their accuracy to predict the market movements, but rely on more conservative and neutral strategies. One of them is Delta hedging strategy which I have been actively trading and post everyday about in Icharts forum under a different thread.

I will be dedicating this thread to the second strategy big money deploys, called Pair Trading.

More to come on it in the next post.

Cheers
SH
anusantosh
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... well awaited boss...
Alchemist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pair trading requires looking at past correlation, co-integration, spreads, ratios etc. I would not spend my energies explaining what these are as people can easily google about them.

Once suitable pairs are found, one needs to look at backtested data for these pairs, average holding time etc before enterting into the trade.

It requires a lot of money management and cash neutrality as well.

I will be positing some of my trades that have successfully gone through all of the above filters to see how they perform.

THIS IS JUST AN EXPERIMENTAL THREAD AND PLEASE DO NOT START TRADING THESE BLINDLY. SEE FOR A FEW WEEKS FIRST.

Cheers
SH
chetan83
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best Alchem 2guns

As usual new thread on a very old method on pair trading.........

Keep shining !!
Alchemist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pair trade initiated today

Sold BankIndia Fut at 135.05 (1 lot 9000 qty)
Bought OrientBank Fut at 140.20 (1 lot 9000 qty)

Cheers
SH
Alchemist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:

Cheers
SH

Bank India fut now at 136.50 = Loss 13050
Orient Bank fut now at 142.20 = Profit 18000

This is Rs 4950 profit intraday itself. I am carrying this position to tomorrow for more gains though.

Cheers
SH
chetan83
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
Alchemist wrote:

Cheers
SH

Bank India fut now at 136.50 = Loss 13050
Orient Bank fut now at 142.20 = Profit 18000

This is Rs 4950 profit intraday itself. I am carrying this position to tomorrow for more gains though.

Cheers
SH

lot size is 6000.
Alchemist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:

Cheers
SH

Had been travelling so couldn't update this thread.

This position was squared off on 6th July at 11.54 AM as below

Sold BankIndia Fut at 135.05, Bought back at 138.70 = 6000 x 3.65 = 21900 Loss

Bought OrientBank Fut at 140.20, Bought back at 144.60 = 6000 x 4.40 = Rs 26400 profit

Net profit = 26400-21900 = Rs 4500

cheers
SH

PS : Chetan thanks for spotting it, the lot size is indeed 6000 shares and not 9000
kartik_krish
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Alc, are you using beta decoupling, or ADF to determine stationarity and ideal pairs to trade?Further are you using ratios or spreads?
Alchemist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartik_krish wrote:
Well done Alc, are you using beta decoupling, or ADF to determine stationarity and ideal pairs to trade?Further are you using ratios or spreads?

Hey there,

I am using correlation/co-integration to identity suitable pairs ... and using both ratios and spreads to identify trades i.e I will trade when both ratios and spreads are showing a similar trade.

I am not posting anymore trades right now as this is quarterly earning results month so I will trade pairs only after the relevant results are out.

Cheers
SH
chetan83
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
kartik_krish wrote:

Hey there,

I am using correlation/co-integration to identity suitable pairs ... and using both ratios and spreads to identify trades i.e I will trade when both ratios and spreads are showing a similar trade.

I am not posting anymore trades right now as this is quarterly earning results month so I will trade pairs only after the relevant results are out.

Cheers
SH

Hi Alchemist,

Any pair trades?
AJAY.4ACE
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quantsapp premium subscriber wil get all pair co relation data in fno along with their relation and backtest too ....it will eliminate ur 90% hardwork finding d trades.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: