Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Profit Expectations from Trading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Risk / Money Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Profit Expectations from Trading
athani
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Profit Expectations from Trading Reply with quote

Hi all,
While it is obvious that we are all in this business of trading for making money, still it would help to be realistic about how much profits to expect.

Many traders, when they are new, have unrealistic profit expectations from trading. This is further fuelled by the messages being bombarded from numerous tips sites, who claim (consistently on a daily basis) to be giving spectacular profits. These sites and tipsters claim to be giving profits of between 15000 to 50000 per day on trading 2 lots of futures (various).

I personally had taken trials of a few sites in the past, and now they are daily sending me such tantalising SMS’s claiming such daily profits and trying to get subscription. For example, today's SMS's claim profits of between 25,500-28,000 on trades done in Tata motors and Century textiles.

Now, you can trade 2 lots of futures comfortably with a capital of 5 lakhs. Thus, it means that they are able to give a profit of between 3% to 10% PER DAY! This works out to money getting doubled in a month.

Say you start trading on the basis of these tipster's tips on the 1st of January 2010 with a capital of 5 lakhs.

You are doubling your capital every month, and so you double the trade size at the end of every month. If you operate in this manner for 1 year, it doesn’t need a calculator to work out that you would end up Rs. 204.80 Crores on 1st January 2011.

If really these tipsters are so great, why don’t they stop giving tips and start actually trading their tips? If they operate in this manner for few years, they wouldn’t have to sell tips, they would be having all the money on this planet!

Is this for real? Are there really people making such kind of profits?
I sincerely request the forum member’s opinions opinion on this topic.

Thanks,
A.Athani
Exness Official
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of new forex traders have unrealistic expectations when they start trading forex. The goal for every trader in the first year of trading should be not to lose money, which is not case with the new traders. They think they can make 20-30% profits per month which is the percentage of profits what professional traders are making per year.
I think it is good to have goals, but still it is better to be realistic in your expectation, cause remember as higher your expectation as difficult emotionally will be to loose. Patience and good strategy are best friends of trader
AmitSwl_FnO
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why research/advisory/level provider companies lag in making profit?

Most tip provider companies have a entry level target level 1 and level 2.
These companies focus on accuracy rather then a risk reward ratio.Secondly they maintain a Track Sheet which provides the profit by adding Target level1 and Target level 2. The first target is usually 1:1 rr or less. When they start providing calls they would some times break even the trade, other times exit even before target 1 is achieved, but in case the market later reaches the target they would theoretically report profit.Also they show profits by adding level1 target + Level 2 target..for a single lot!!! for example nifty 1 lot enter at
8830 target 1 8860 target 2 8890 . As you reach target 1 the message will come saying target 1 "Safe traders exit"....in case the target 2 is reached they would report profit as 60*25=1500!! but in reality u have exited at 8860. Other times they would make you exit at 8840..to maintain accuracy.

I almost daily receive a call from these companies...I ask them one question...do you have a historical log of calls provided Vs the track sheet ??
the only criteria reqd. by sebi is a third party audit of all the calls provided versus the reporting.
====================================================
Though I am a very average Day Trader but here is my experience in day trading nifty-1m Fut,experiment it may help u a bit in improving profits:

1. Use a Time frame less than 15min or max 15mins.
2. Keep A Stop loss market order ready on the screen don't use Stop Limit order.
3. Always day trade using a discount brokerage firm .
4. Nifty Futures changes direction pretty fast be sure to reverse the trade quickly.
5. Use the margin limits provided by NSE (Rather than broker provided !! since whipsaw chance is more in small SL)
6.Maintain a day log of profit loss..indicating total turnover,expenses ,Taxes,and slippage from the entry level (if more than threepts) ...if possible all the trades.
7. Don't leave the screen ,,,,if u leave the screen use a SL-m type tail order but return to market order once back on screen.
8.In case you want to capture big moves use opening breakouts.

these is my exp...many will disagree....many will agree depends upon individual.

thankx
hope it helps.
amit
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2011 I stopped taking web based advice (free or paid) after bad experience with Coimbatore based expert (Gemini)
He used to keep large gap for SL eg buy at 5000, tgt 5030, SL 4970 or 4960. As Amit says he would ask risk free traders to exit earlier and then report tgt reached! One day at 1530, he even asked us to maintain trade after reaching SL because his posit tip SL had not been reached (tomorrow you will reach tgt). Alas, NF went even lower and trig posit SL also. But he reported only intra SL for profit/ loss. From time to time I got sms late and when I asked him, he says only u are complaining others are not? He declared one week holiday and assured us we would get extension but never again I got tip SMS! When I stopped , he started bombarding with SMS asking why I stopped and my fault, I should have repeatedly tried to reach him!
Better we lose money by ourselves, we will learn from mistakes than from taking paid tips when we dont even understand expert's method!
+
knowledgable persons in ICharts like Apka, JT, Oppo, Rita Pandit, Umesh1, Vinay are writing very good posts about NF movement +with reasons + no cost
Jai Hind, Prakash Holla

Last edited by pkholla on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
shanticomq
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Prkash what u say is perfect.

Ichartin Team(vinay,Apka, Rita,prakash......) is doing great Job with free of cost

Jai PK

Sanjay
umesh1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Thanks prakash for your valuable input, never ever subscribe to any advisory or offer some one to manage your portfolio how much ever big the claims may be.rather than spend on self education.and remember no retail trader is making big money CONSISTANTLY, yes as investors portfolio value will keep moving with market,and largely gain over long term bearing notional losses in between corrections.There are many books on market rules,dos and donts,unfortunately markets dont follow either of rules.yes they should be used as guidance and you have to derive and write your own script.and accept stoplosses as well as targets as part of trading strategy.
Happy Trading ...Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Risk / Money Management All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: