Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolling options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Rolling options
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Rolling options Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I will post option trades regularly in this this thread. From my experience i have learnt that it is very difficult to earn money from option trade by buying options.
So my trades will consist of shorting or writing options with stop losses. The margin requirement for shorting options is high so the lot size depends on your capital.

Hope we all make some money.

Happy Trading.
amitagg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choice of thread and author name!

Why not go immediately with rising vix and only few days to expiry....
AMBY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL THE BEST.
rwdesai
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modifan: I am also fan of options. All the best.
pvramesh
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: writing options Reply with quote

can any body inform me how much capital is required for writing/shorting one unit call/put option from adiscount broker like zerodha ?
mohitshukla2021
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorting Options requires same amount of margin as taking a future position. Generally around 17-18000, at current levels of nifty. Though if you write covered call or put, margin required goes down for option position.
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right. Right now margin for shorting 8800 call is around Rs 15000. It keeps changing.
Pvramesh: You can calculate the margin required by going to Zerodha website. They have a tool called SPAN which can help you.

Jai Hind
mohitshukla202t1 wrote:
Shorting Options requires same amount of margin as taking a future position. Generally around 17-18000, at current levels of nifty. Though if you write covered call or put, margin required goes down for option position.
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amitagg,

I don't trade until i know the direction of the market clearly. When there is a trade i will post it here.

Regards

amitagg wrote:
Interesting choice of thread and author name!

Why not go immediately with rising vix and only few days to expiry....
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade #1

Sold 8700 PE at 40.

Jai Hind
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed the trade at 84. Loss 45 points.

There are some good days and some bad days. No worries. Lets see the next trade.

Jai Hind.

modifan wrote:
Trade #1

Sold 8700 PE at 40.

Jai Hind
amitagg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.....nice to see you decided to 'act'

......do you determine SL levels before initiating a trade......? Just a thought.

Laughing
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amit,

My stop losses are not decided at the start of the trade. They are determined by the strategy that i follow. So as the trade develops the stop loss keeps changing.

Regards

amitagg wrote:
True.....nice to see you decided to 'act'

......do you determine SL levels before initiating a trade......? Just a thought.

Laughing
modifan
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not being able to post the trade live as i could not access the computer at that time. I was away and the stop loss triggered.

Next time i would make sure to post it instantly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

modifan wrote:

There are some good days and some bad days. No worries. Lets see the next trade.

Jai Hind.

modifan wrote:
Trade #1

Sold 8700 PE at 40.

Jai Hind
Hydrogen
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ModiFan:
Why not go for Diagonal Spread or Vertical Spread, instead of trading/selling naked options.

Regards
Hydrogen
amitagg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no issues man......I have seen hundreds of stop losses trigger in my trades........with due respect, we are not like some other threads where only levels given and no trades / strategy......as WELGRO said, we need courage to trade, we just cannot always only paint like artist........

modifan wrote:
Apologies for not being able to post the trade live as i could not access the computer at that time. I was away and the stop loss triggered.

Next time i would make sure to post it instantly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

modifan wrote:

Jai Hind.

modifan wrote:
Trade #1

Sold 8700 PE at 40.

Jai Hind
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Strategies All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: