Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock Options Strategy - Beautiful Butterfly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Stock Options Strategy - Beautiful Butterfly
ashutoshbpl
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Stock Options Strategy - Beautiful Butterfly Reply with quote

Hi,
chk out the strategy here.
Trade Master
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashu

I m stunned how could I have missed such kind of strategy in options !!!! One can make killing out of such options..kudos to you for such a wonderful stratergy..keep up the good work..

(let me now work on some of my bigshot scrips Cool ...

Thanx
nareshch
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashu ,

here is the pay off if i play with nifty calls today.

test butterfly.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  test butterfly.xls
 Filesize:  18 KB
 Downloaded:  703 Time(s)

ashutoshbpl
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi naresh,
thnx for making payout table.
As per me margin required is only 39*50=1950 or some 500 to 1000 more which depends from broker to broker. Logic is that you are selling 2 calls and also buying 2 calls at the same time. So its exactly an ofsetting position where your risk in any case is limited to Rs 39 only no matter Nifty makes any kind of wild movements. So just check out with your broker how much it will cost for this butterfly. Second thing butterfly is best if the market is rangebound. For May market can break on either side and also volatility for may is expected to be high, still near expiry you can design it for nifty. For June it will one of the best strategy as less volatility is expected in that month. Neways this one gives max return with minumum risk.
Trade Master
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashu

Was going through this Butterfly stratergy on the web and came to know about long & Short butterflies...

1.) Short 1 ITM--Long 2 ATM-- Short 1 OTM (Long Butterfly)
2.) Long 1 ITM--Short 2 ATM-- Long 1 OTM (Short Butterfly)

Can you pls elaborate a bit about both the stratergies (when can one adapt short or long butterfly).

Thanks
TM

Last edited by Trade Master on Fri May 15, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MILANCHN
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir, what could be the max profit as per ur butterfly illuystration.
ashutoshbpl
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILANCHN wrote:
sir, what could be the max profit as per ur butterfly illuystration.

Sir, maximum profit will be on condition when stock price expires exactly on the strike price of the options which you have sold.
Calculate as follows:
premium received on sold calls/puts - premium paid on otm call/put - premumu paid on itm call/put - brokerage paid(on single side, as we are not reversing positions)
ashutoshbpl
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade Master wrote:
Hi Ashu

Was going through this Butterfly stratergy on the web and came to know about long & Short butterflies...

1.) Short 1 ITM--Long 2 ATM-- Short 1 OTM (Long Butterfly)
2.) Long 1 ITM--Short 2 ATM-- Long 1 OTM (Short Butterfly)

Can you pls elaborate a bit about both the stratergies (when can one adapt short or long butterfly).

Thanks
TM

Hi TM,
The example which I've given was of Short Butterfly which is opt when volatility of the underlying is very low. So simply putting go for short butterfly when you are very sure that stock is range bound.

Now in current scenario Long butterfly is quite fit as we are having high volatility this month. Volatility is a major factor. Long butterfly is just the inverse of Short butterfly. Your profit will be secured if stock closes At or out of the range, i.e if scrip closes At or out of the strike of the call/put which you have sold.

Current scenario is the best for Long as we can see either side movement in the scrip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Strategies All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: