Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surf speed & Download Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Surf speed & Download Speed
AmitSwl_FnO
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Surf speed & Download Speed Reply with quote

I need some input..I have BSNL 1mpbs plan. The issue is they (BSNL) say that surfing speed is 1mpbs and downloading is 125kbps.Suppose i am running a download technically i have 1mpbs , But what happens is... icharts get stuck

IT guys pls comment, If i have 1mpbs as surfing speed why does download slow icharts data?

thanks
Amit
Gemini
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amit,

Hello. You can conduct speedtest and verify if you are really getting 1 Mbps download speed, (with PING value showing as less than 10 ms or so). If yes, than any web-site , including i-chart shoud work fine.

There are various on-line tools for conducting this test.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Surf speed & Download Speed Reply with quote

AmitSwl_79 wrote:
I need some input..I have BSNL 1mpbs plan. The issue is they (BSNL) say that surfing speed is 1mpbs and downloading is 125kbps.Suppose i am running a download technically i have 1mpbs , But what happens is... icharts get stuck

IT guys pls comment, If i have 1mpbs as surfing speed why does download slow icharts data?

thanks
Amit

1] Amit, most people are not aware of the difference. Not even the staff from the ISPs.

2] There is a difference between "kbps and "Kbps". And same way in "mbps" and "Mbps".

3] One is "bits" and other is "Bytes".

4] 8 bits make 1 byte. (how mm cm inches and so on work).

5] ISPs sell broadband terming the speed as "mpbs" which is megabits per second.

1 megabits (mbps) = 1024 kilobits (kbps)
1 Kilobyte (Kbps) = 8 bits

so divide 1024 kbps by 8 and you get maximum speed of 128Kbps (Kilobytes) - which is what you get and see at the time of downloading.

6] There is no actual difference in surfing and downloading speed. It is just said because your website can be in size of small bits being a blank page or little text. But files you will download will always be more than 1Kb. Hence, the terminology.

Regarding why at icharts you face the problem, your download is using full speed, so icharts may see link breakage. Try downloading a free download manager which can give you control of how much bandwidth to use for downloading files. If the speed is divided, it may solve your problem that shows ichart as stuck.

Last edited by apka on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, apka sir, fantastica! Laughing
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
wow, apka sir, fantastica! Laughing

no play for you, stand in the corner!
AmitSwl_FnO
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAPKA thank you very much for eye opening explanation.Iska matlab...iSp's goliyan dete hain....

thankx a lot to Gemini also.

Amit
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Surf speed & Download Speed Reply with quote

apka wrote:

1] Amit, most people are ....... But files you will download will always be more than 1Kb. Hence, the terminology.

Professor Apka: excellent explanation. Just want to add some things:
a) most ISPs give different speed for uploading (data you send to someone else) and downloading (what u receive)
b) most ISPs give one speed upto say a limit of 1GB in the month then at a slower speed for subsequent data transfers
c) data transfer speed CAN be affected by TIME OF DAY. If many office goers log onto ICharts at lunchtime, IC will load slowly in all computers logged into IC during lunch hour!
d) So better to download movie, latest 'Castle' episode, hot Sunny Leone video, etc from midnight to 8AM when most people's computers are shut down
e) Data transfer speed can be very fast within same network or internet address, try sending file from BSNL user to another BSNL user OR gmail a/c to another gmail a/c and observe the speeds!
Prakash Holla
AmitSwl_FnO
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you PKHolla for your input.

AEOM
Raynor
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb Bsnl... if you are in town go for reliance... bsnl and others are having FUP... but Rel is unlimited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Data All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: