Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Market Mastermind !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The Market Mastermind !
rk_a2003
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #31   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: MARKET BOTTOM Reply with quote

Re Posting the following extracts as per the request of this thread founder.

rk_a2003 wrote:
rk_a2003 wrote:
It was said that no one can catch a bottom ( In fact technically speaking at least one person can ,someone should be there at the bottom )

There is a co relation to US$-INR Exchange rates and Index value .It’s not a Total and Direct relation But it could be used as a leading Indicator.

We all knew when FII’s with draw from equity market they sell in rupees and take away the Dollors and rupee depreciates.

See the table below how rupee is at its low when Market is at around bottom.

There are so many other factors that are influencing rupee depreciation. Increasing Crude Imports , Strengthening Dolor Etc.

However Investors may keep a note of this also for identifying market bottom. You may also compare the PE ratio of Nifty/Sensex also .

Compare the PE ratio of NIFTY/Sensex during march 2009 bottom ( Nifty PE was just above 12 , Sensex PE was just above 9), to catch a bottom. Don’t go by absolute value of Index go by PE ratio.

What happened during 2008-09 crash?. Sensex hit bottom of 8891 when INR depreciated by around 22% to 51.67.

Can we anticipate similar action this time ? Sensex/Nifty to reach bottom when USD/INR=52 – 54 (1.20*45).

Date $/INR Sensex

03-Aug-08 42.19 14656

08-Sep-08 45.87 14483

06-Oct-08 48.44 12526

27-Oct-08 49.41 8701

01-Dec-08 49.54 9092

02-Mar-09 51.67 8891

15-Jun-09 48.06 15237

12-Oct-09 46.22 16642

08-Nov-10 44.98 21004

11-Jul-11 44.47 18858

25-Sep-11 49.07 16162

But, Don't use it for Timing, only use it to Identify Bottomed out range and can be used for Investing.

Regards
RK

Now US$-INR exchange rate touched 53+ and hovering around 52 .It might have coincided with the withdrawal of funds by FII’s.Experts shouting that Indian rupee may see even 56-58 levels. Horrible…In not too far away times i.e. in 1980 US $ INR exchange rate was 7.887. Can you believe it? Our country expanded in to huge market compared to 1980’s, Human resources flourished like any thing ,GDP increased multifold for which there are very few comparisons in the world. Then why is this devaluation?

The reason – spineless Indian political class. It has no will to take up the development .No courage for self rule. No commitment towards the people of this nation. It just obeying and following the orders issued by so called Developed Nations. They submitted them selves to the authority of the western world. They even don’t have guts to bargain like China. Thought less RBI, Spine less MOF, Will less PMO .What more we can expect?

Still keeping in view the inherent strength of Indian Economy Rupee can not sustain at these levels for longer time. I can not give an exact time frame but with in a year or so it has to come down around 40.

Keep in mind… Equity market fall coupled with rupee devaluation may turn Indian Shares so attractive that at some point fresh foreign funds may rush in to India like a flood. The point just before that could be the bottom for our Markets. I can explain it in theory but please don’t ask me to pin point that actual point of time. Regarding which no one will be aware of. For sure It’s a natural dynamics and it has to happen.

Indian rupee did reached 54 and now came down.When it was around 54 Equity market appears to be bottomed out at least for intermediate term.

Some one who took long positions at that level are in good profit now at least by 10 % or may be more in case they took positions in beaten down and fundamentally strong scrips.Now they can not get in to loss if they follow a reasonable SL setting.

So.....It works guys. AEOM
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #32   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends --- RK had posted the rupee devaluation versus market bottom in another thread. On my request, it is repeated here.

We have seen it work this time around just as in March 2009 - as per data compiled by RK.

Thanks RK for this classic and valuable 'market mind' marker . thumbup
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #33   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question is whether 20-22% fall in rupee is the limit. the minority will be happy if yes.
psalm
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #34   PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Rupee and Peers Reply with quote

The situation was very much different in 2008...Rupee was not under-performing in comparison with other Asian currencies....most of the Asian currencies have fallen as much as the rupee, I believe......But this time, rupee is clearly under-performing in comparison with its peers.......Rupee could fall further.....that means exploring unknown territories.....means facing uncertain times.....is there a way to find the bottom??....
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #35   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will someone explain to me whether factors such as inflation, high interest rates, fiscal deficit, revenue deficit, corruption scandals, policy paralysis and host of other problems we have been hearing about for a year have any effect on rupee-dollar rate? I am not sure.

But then if falling rupee is the reason nifty/sensex have gone down and rightly so, in what way are above mentioned factors affected the market. Or has the currency delinked itself from all other economic factors i.e. is it a fight between currency traders and equity traders?

May be I haven't put the question properly. That's because I don't understand this equation.
rk_a2003
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #36   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
will someone explain to me whether factors such as inflation, high interest rates, fiscal deficit, revenue deficit, corruption scandals, policy paralysis and host of other problems we have been hearing about for a year have any effect on rupee-dollar rate? I am not sure.

But then if falling rupee is the reason nifty/sensex have gone down and rightly so, in what way are above mentioned factors affected the market. Or has the currency delinked itself from all other economic factors i.e. is it a fight between currency traders and equity traders?

May be I haven't put the question properly. That's because I don't understand this equation.

Vinay

Will get back to you ....May be during week end.

Infact! you are asking for a Holy Grail Laughing

Mean time Ajay & Sam please post your views if possible please.
rk_a2003
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #37   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
the question is whether 20-22% fall in rupee is the limit. the minority will be happy if yes.

Vinay

I am no way saying market bottom was found. At least we can say we are able to identify the intermediate bottomed out range for the time being with the help of this tool.

Now say rupee stabilised for a considerable time at 51 or say at 48 and then it's again started it's down ward journey then we may assume 48*1.2 =57.6 .Say around 57-59 we may assume there is a chance of another bottom.That could be a long term bottom( but we can not say for sure that it will happen ).

My point is we may use this as a leading indicator to find out the range.

I already said--- We may not be able to use it for timing the market.
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #38   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without digging too much into the data and causes .... since it is impossible to find a direct connection of a host of variables to the 'effect'.

I would use the data presented by RK as a 'co-relation' between depreciating rupee ( linked with FII Outflows) and the market seeking a bottom. This can be supplemented with other data/indicators for confirmation.

Fund outflows can be due to a multitude of reasons( such as mentioned by Vinay) , but they tire our brains. It is difficult to cull data exactly co-relating outflows to political nonsense.

That why techies look to charts like astrologers!
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #39   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ajay, but the questions I asked are "F" in nature and nothing wrong to pursue them for GK! One more reason is that I am not convinced they are related, at least directly. For example, is fall in rupee only due to FIIs taking money out, which in turn is due to factors I have mentioned? Or is it something else e.g. speculative currency trade, which preceded FII's sell. Do we know/can we find out quantum of dollar buying in India by non-indians before equity market started tanking? I get a feeling FIIs started selling after rupee started sliding.
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #40   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends here is some exciting input from Swing Trader being posted here with his consent as it is truly mastermind content for you to factor into days when you are wondering where the market is going intermediate and long term: Thanks ST !

Here's ST verbatim :

I am posting my investing/position trading sentiment indicator. I use this chart (I have been using it since early 2008) to do serious long-term accumumation & liquidation of stocks and also for position trading the intermediate moves.

Kindly don't ask me more about this indicator but I do promise to post updates on it when I see key points / trend changes etc. I am posting this just to give my point of view on the state of the current market. I may be wrong so please take your own decision

Explanation of the chart :

The blue line is the long-term sentiment indicator and the red line is intermediate term sentiment indicator. Both are used for overall analysis of the current state of the market.

Blue line above zero means there is a long-term uptrend going on and if the blue line is below zero it means there is a long-term downtrend going on.

In an uptrend or downtrend the red line will indicate intermediate moves that can be position traded. I mainly look for climax of bearish moves in uptrends and climax of bullish moves in downtrends to initiate trades for the next 2-3 months (or as long as they allow me to stay in the trades). In the chart I have indicated these bearish & bullish climaxes in both uptrend & downtrend.

For change of trend I look at two things. One is clear cut - blue line going above/below zero. But to get a jump start on change of trend I check this : in a downtrend if the red line goes above 80% then there is a good chance of a significant upmove that can result in a change of trend. The blue line going above zero will finally confirm this. Vice versa for change to downtrend (red line must go below -80%, blue line will confirm later which is the final confirmation).

Examples of change of trend :

2009 change to uptrend was clear, early indication was given, later I got final confirmation.

Nov-Dec 2010 change to dowtrend - no early signal was given both signals were simultaneous.

Apr 2011 - there was a fake change to uptrend early signal but no confirmation by blue line. This was clearly a fake as it was too early in the down move and market had not got really oversold.

CURRENT STATE OF THE MARKET :

The way I use this chart....I would still like to see really oversold condition like the one we had in end of 2008 - early 2009. The long-term sentiment has really not climaxed to the downside....I would ideally like to see it fall below -80% and then give change of trend signals. This would make me really bullish. Until then I am still bearish. Of course, if the blue line moves above zero then no ifs & buts, it will be uptrend confirmation. This down move gave excellent shorting opportunities in Apr, end Jul & end Oct, I have indicated these on the chart.

NOTE : This chart and the above discussion applies to long-term investing & position trading only. I use stocks for long-term and futures & options (NF only) combinations for position trading signals.

Updated NSE long-term market sentiment chart (as of 16.12.2011)

Sentiment needs to fall below -80%, like it did during 2008 end, for me to begin long term accumulation. Confirmation of bull market will be only when the blue line - main sentiment indicator - moves above 0% which is long way off at the moment.

The long term market sentiment went below -80% during the Jun 2008 down move. It stayed down until early 2009. This is why I feel we have a climax move down left before a significant bull move up. Of course, the pattern will not be same this time, it never is, but I would feel much more confident buying into a bullish move if we see a climax move before the bottom. If we don't get a climax move but long term sentiment moves above zero then I go into buying mode as I do every time but then I will be more cautious as the move up may not be strong.
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #41   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
yes ajay, but the questions I asked are "F" in nature and nothing wrong to pursue them for GK! One more reason is that I am not convinced they are related, at least directly. For example, is fall in rupee only due to FIIs taking money out, which in turn is due to factors I have mentioned? Or is it something else e.g. speculative currency trade, which preceded FII's sell. Do we know/can we find out quantum of dollar buying in India by non-indians before equity market started tanking? I get a feeling FIIs started selling after rupee started sliding.

Sure Vinay ... I was just referring to my little brain as it tires easily.

My take is that rupee slide started after funds were withdrawn( ie FII Selling or distribution towards the year end/holidays etc)
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #42   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...little brain..."? Most modest, double superlative! Smile
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #43   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing Trader: Hi, is your chart of mkt sentiment for everybody or only for a select few? Boss, we would also like to benefit from your excellent reading of the market senti. Please tell us how to access updated copy from ICharts website ON REGULAR BASIS
Thanks in advance (both for posting AND for clear picture of market shown there) Prakash Holla
rainbow
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #44   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: little brain Reply with quote

vinay,

in this context, 'little brain' must be an oxymoron, no? Smile

hope to be back in bangalore for good after closing these contracts (not nf contacts) by end jan.

Cheers

vinay28 wrote:
"...little brain..."? Most modest, double superlative! Smile
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #45   PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will lie in wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Economy All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 3 of 68

Jump to: