Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trading Addiction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Psychology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Trading Addiction
amrinderpal
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Trading Addiction Reply with quote

Checklist to see if you are addicted to trading stocks

1.)You know every stock symbol on the top of your head.
2.)You’re not satisfied until you can make a profitable trade to make up for bad trades.
3.)You enjoy the challenge of trading over actually making money.
4.)You are constantly flustered by the ups and downs of a stock in a given day.
5.)You start to make crazy excuses and blame others for your bad trades.
6.)You frequent message boards and social networks to try and pump up your stock.
7.)You are glued to the Twitter/Forum/ stream to see what traders are actively buying and selling.
8.)First thing you do when you get up and last thing before you go to sleep is check your stocks.
9.)You find and follow a new stock everyday.
10.)You start buying based solely on what somebody says.
11.)You bet large portions of your portfolio on a few stocks.
12.)You check your account balance every 5 minutes of market hours.
13.)You scoff at the trading strategies of other people.
14.)You never really actually get better at trading.

How to cure trading addiction

Take a break. Step away from the market for a couple days, weeks, or months, and just let your mind rest. During this time you should try to avoid specific market news as much as possible.

Keep a journal. Often people who have some sort of addiction jump straight into what they are doing. By keeping track of your trades, thoughts, and ideas, you will be able to clearly see what you are doing and when you should be put in check.

Consolidate your research. There is no need to know every single piece of information and news available for your stock. Create a set strategy, break it down as much as possible, and keep it. The simpler your strategy, the easier it will be to abide by.

Call it a day on bad trades. The next time you lose money in a trade, call it day. Go do something else, and live to trade another day. Eventually you will work your way into avoiding trying to make up for bad trades.
sethu45
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, But some poeple trying to live from this market getting defeated everytime and they are left with no other option for their living. They knows the movement of the market and are good predictions in their track. What is your suggestion to those kind of people. They are forced to get addicted due to their commitments.

regds
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trading Addiction Reply with quote

amrinderpal wrote:

2.)You’re not satisfied until you can make a profitable trade to make up for bad trades.
6.)You frequent message boards and social networks to try and pump up your stock.
7.)You are glued to the Twitter/Forum/ stream to see what traders are actively buying and selling.
8.)First thing you do when you get up and last thing before you go to sleep is check your stocks.

Take a break. Step away from the market for a couple days, weeks, or months, and just let your mind rest. During this time you should try to avoid specific market news as much as possible.

Keep a journal. Often people who have some sort of addiction jump straight into what they are doing. By keeping track of your trades, thoughts, and ideas, you will be able to clearly see what you are doing and when you should be put in check.

Consolidate your research. There is no need to know every single piece of information and news available for your stock. Create a set strategy, break it down as much as possible, and keep it. The simpler your strategy, the easier it will be to abide by.

Call it a day on bad trades. The next time you lose money in a trade, call it day. Go do something else, and live to trade another day. Eventually you will work your way into avoiding trying to make up for bad trades.

Amrinder, Sorry to interject but are these symptoms listed out of any scientific research paper ? I ask this question since no.5 and no.10-14 seems more like characteristics of rookie traders than symptoms of addicted traders. A thorough psychological analysis of various types addiction is the subject of many researches around the world.
amitsaraf01
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: its a process Reply with quote

i have seen this thing that people are looking to learn trading in few pages.

Learning to trade profitably is a process, it s along tough process.

One you admit that its a long tough process you will find that process.
svkum
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koi chiz pane ke liye pagal hona padta hai
pagal hona and addict hona , thin line hai except following criteria shd be curtailed

being impatient, less or no confidence
gamblers attitude
getting victim of stress and frustration(weak mind)
to overcome above lacking , one is poasitioning wrongfully as successful man
decieving himself.

if he is not elliminating above bad qualities , he may remain pagal in real sense.
STEPUP
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhai manne lagrise SVKVM khud confuse horise, bhaya, manne ye to samjha tu pagal aur addict ka ke farak houe, bhai thin line nu ki boli se.

Manne samjha bhaya,jald.

Qualities bad houe, manna to lagrise tanna khud jyada hi padlise, bhayo , intezar manne.
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trading Addiction Reply with quote

amrinderpal wrote:

Call it a day on bad trades. The next time you lose money in a trade, call it day. Go do something else, and live to trade another day.

Eventually you will work your way into avoiding trying to make up for bad trades.

1.)You know every stock symbol on the top of your head. I hardly remember nifty values and it is the only security I trade regularly. I am only aware of entry exit and SL when I am trading. Rest of the time I may remember a trend but not values. No point when the charts have saved it for me.
2.)You’re not satisfied until you can make a profitable trade to make up for bad trades. I am satisfied only when I end my day’s account in positive. Somedays I can’t be positive. Those days though I am cross with myself, I ensure that my loss is not more than 3% of my trading capital.
3.)You enjoy the challenge of trading over actually making money. I find trading not very exciting if it doesn’t make me money.
4.)You are constantly flustered by the ups and downs of a stock in a given day. Answer given in 1.
5.)You start to make crazy excuses and blame others for your bad trades. Never. I don’t give credit to others, even for my mistakes Wink
6.)You frequent message boards and social networks to try and pump up your stock. I frequent message boards a lot like I am doing now but I believe in discussing macroeconomic issues. I don’t believe that anybody can influence stock prices by writing a few lines on it. Nonsense!
7.)You are glued to the Twitter/Forum/ stream to see what traders are actively buying and selling. I am glued to my screen when I am in a trade.
8.)First thing you do when you get up and last thing before you go to sleep is check your stocks. No
9.)You find and follow a new stock everyday. No. But some on SB say that I find and follow a new analysis method everyday 
10.)You start buying based solely on what somebody says. Not really unless it sounds convincing
11.)You bet large portions of your portfolio on a few stocks. My bets never exceed 50% of my capital
12.)You check your account balance every 5 minutes of market hours. I check a/c balance only after making a trade to see that I have closed my position. If my positions are open I check price movements.
13.)You scoff at the trading strategies of other people. Ulta hai. I am an opportunist always sniffing for a new and better strategy and really speaking this habit has paid me high dividends.
14.)You never really actually get better at trading. Dunno abt this but yeah nowadays money making is a little more steadier than it was a year ago.
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me lay that out straight ---

Gambling is a form of investment

Investment( including trading) is a form of gambling

No one has used the taboo word (GAMBLING) anywhere else in these forums...face it and you will be 'free' of all the interpretations,illusions.

gamblers = addicts

sd/- Swami AjayHKaulanada
angel
STEPUP
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhayo des badal gayo, swmaiji investment nu baat karrise, bhaou ki houe is des ka, bhayo ab to manna darr lagrise Shocked
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

des ki chinta mat kar ,gambling se darr Laughing
opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a win helps few with losses from others then it is a zero sum game. It is gambling which the society can do without.

When we put money in a business/company and it grows it is a positive sum game. No body loses. It is not gambling.
STEPUP
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhaya des ki chinta maat kar, ki bolrise, manna to laga tu atangbadi.

Shocked
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opportunist wrote:
When a win helps few with losses from others then it is a zero sum game. It is gambling which the society can do without.

When we put money in a business/company and it grows it is a positive sum game. No body loses. It is not gambling.

Sure , it is a good gamble IF it grows .Else IF it loses, it was a bad bet.

Either way it is a chance or a gamble

gam·ble (gmbl)
v. gam·bled, gam·bling, gam·bles
v.intr.
a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.
b. To play a game of chance for stakes.
2. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.
3. To engage in reckless or hazardous behavior: You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.
v.tr.
1. To put up as a stake in gambling; wager.
2. To expose to hazard; risk: gambled their lives in a dangerous rescue mission.
n.
1. A bet, wager, or other gambling venture.
2. An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise.

Since all business ventures carry a risk (like every thing in life) ,they are a gamble by definition.

Generally people dont like this word,but that is called cognitive dissonance

One of the biggest gamble people take is their career path selection at a raw age since that is their passport for rest of their lives(unless they realise soon enough or add skills). You already know how many occupations/jobs that existed 20 yrs ago , don't exist today

Mr Mallaya took a gamble with his concept of KFA , for example.

Last edited by ajayhkaul on Fri May 11, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
ajayhkaul
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEPUP wrote:
bhaya des ki chinta maat kar, ki bolrise, manna to laga tu atangbadi.

Shocked

If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry(chinta) about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry.
-- Dalai Lama

Aatankvadi nahi , main hu (positive) aashavadi ,BHAYA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Psychology All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: