Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trading market breadth cycles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Trading market breadth cycles
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #31   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
yes ST. I just thought of it yesterday because I feel cash buying has started.

Ok. That is true. I have also seen short-term breadth going up throughout the recent decline. It would be interesting to see what is going to happen around the current levels.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #32   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...I have also seen short-term breadth going up throughout the recent decline...."

That's a good confirmation. By the way, the cash purchase of much over a lac crores in the past is at average nifty spot of 4950 ........ if it's of any help.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #33   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but vinay... DII are still selling and FII have been buying in cash since several weeks now... wouldnt they want to avg down their purchases at lower level now.. cash buyers are happy the more lower it goes
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #34   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apka, I am not talking about weeks but months/year. Also, if average price is 4950, what lower levels are you talking about for averaging?
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #35   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not understand for multiyears avg is 4950 in cash buying you are saying ?
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #36   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes apka, at least for a year.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #37   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dicy.. they are in profit of 700 points.. they could sell anytime.. Neutral
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #38   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no apka, these are mostly medium/long only funds and the long only funds look beyond 5 years.
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #39   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #40   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid!!! I was ready for this and was waiting for it since days. Of course, being ready is one thing and actually executing the plan perfectly is another thing Very Happy In any case, I somehow managed to exit the bull call spread (at not so good price) and bought NOV 5700 puts. I exited the bull call spread trade with a loss of about Rs. 1750 per lot. Bought the 5700 puts @ 103.85.

Both short-term & medium-term breadth are strongly heading down. I expect the trend to continue down for a while now. I have aligned myself with it and will continue to monitor the breadth charts and decide on further action. The bullish trade I have closed was against the medium term breadth which had started to go down when I initiated the trade. This trade is now with the medium term breadth.

I am not sure and don't really care where/when/why market will turn up again. I will decide the probabilities based on breadth and will try and align with it. I am very curious to see how soon medium term breadth bottoms out as that will give a good clue as to the health of the uptrend. If medium term breadth bottoms out quickly (as in August) then it will be time to align with the uptrend at that point as it could mean the uptrend would resume. If medium term breadth stays down and short term breadth gets to the top then it will be time to continue to be short.

One thing is clear, things are pretty much broken and uptrend will face serious resistance from here if it resumes too quickly. It is probably time to hedge my positional long stocks, I will decide on it on Monday.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #41   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Made to order!
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #42   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
Smile Made to order!

Very Happy Things will seldom turn out as planned. Now something totally unexpected too can happen next week...it is the market after all, it will do what it wants.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #43   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed ST. Pl see my somewhat contra posts under "running with the wolves" and "nifty view for Nov."

That's why I wondered aloud about leading indicators. In any case, even if nifty reverses sharply, I am sure you will get to know from your chart in 1-2 days and thus preventing any damage.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #44   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
Indeed ST. Pl see my somewhat contra posts under "running with the wolves" and "nifty view for Nov."

That's why I wondered aloud about leading indicators. In any case, even if nifty reverses sharply, I am sure you will get to know from your chart in 1-2 days and thus preventing any damage.

Sure...will take a look.

About other indicators, I use one or two other indicators - leading or not - for my overall analysis but for the breadth cycle trading (testing) I am doing here I am not using any as I want to see its standalone performance. Also, I consider breadth itself to be leading. Of course, timing using it takes some experience.

BTW why do you consider RSI a leading indicator (you mentioned in the morning)? It is one of the most lagging oscillators. All price based indicators will lag more or less. The leading indicators I know of are Fibs, EWs, WWs, some of Gann stuff. There could be many others but I am not familiar.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #45   PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BTW why do you consider RSI a leading indicator (you mentioned in the morning)? It is one of the most lagging oscillators. All price based indicators will lag more or less. The leading indicators I know of are Fibs, EWs, WWs, some of Gann stuff. There could be many others but I am not familiar."

Traditionally, oscillators (apart from those mentioned by you, some of which are actually patterns) have been considering as leading indicators due to their ability to show (a) overbought/sold levels and (b) divergences. Isn't it?

Obviously there are other leading indicators in fundamental aspects too, such as inflation, unemployment data, consumer confidence, etc. One of the most leading I feel is baltic freight index.

Anyway, as long as you get timely signals for an action, any indicator is good enough. And yes, breadth is a leading one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: