Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trading market breadth cycles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Trading market breadth cycles
bpsingh
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #46   PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltic Index (BDI) cannot be used in practical manner for trading Indian Market (except shipping sector). The BDI was 1930 on 12/12/2011 and gradually dropped to 647 on 3/2/2012. In the same period, Nifty rose from its lows of 4700-4800 range to 5400-5500 range. There is no meaningful relationship between BDI and Nifty charts. We will just confuse and tie-up ourselves in knots trying to trade nifty based on BDI as leading indicator. BDI is far less an indicator than US stock indices for practical purpose of trading nifty. Past 1-yr comparison chart attached.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #47   PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singh, BDI hardly depicts Indian economic situation, our international trade being so small. My mention of it was general in nature because it indicates change in goods shipments well before quarterly results/data are out.

By the way, with world economies in doldrums, BDI is a god contra indicator because it means risk-off monies will come to India and other emerging markets. Smile
apka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #48   PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting point vinay, i never thought of BDI in that sense.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #49   PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither did I! 24 24
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #50   PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what are your trading timeframes but for my type of trading the macro economic indicators are worthless. They may be useful for fund managers but for traders like me they are just not-so-useful stats.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #51   PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, I agree
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #52   PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breadth cycle chart with long, medium & short term cycles.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #53   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breadth continues to deteriorate, correction may not be over yet.
Vevensa
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #54   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ST,
What is your definition for short/medium/long-term? I mean how many days/weeks or months?
Thanks.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #55   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vevensa wrote:
Hello ST,
What is your definition for short/medium/long-term? I mean how many days/weeks or months?
Thanks.

Short - 13 Days, Medium - 50 Days, Long - 200 Days

Vevensa
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #56   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwingTrader wrote:
Vevensa wrote:
Hello ST,
Thanks.

Short - 13 Days, Medium - 50 Days, Long - 200 Days

Thank you.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #57   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's breadth chart - Medium vs Short

The breadth indicates some more time left for short/medium term bottom. Of course, that is just an indication. If market continues to rise in the meantime, the decision point for me is going to be the 16th Nov high. I will see what to do with my trade if market can sustain above it. Before that 5625 is a major resistance too, NF needs to clear and stay above it before it can try and get to 16th Nov high of 5664.

p_wangdu
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #58   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwingTrader wrote:
Today's breadth chart - Medium vs Short

The breadth indicates some more time left for short/medium term bottom. Of course, that is just an indication. If market continues to rise in the meantime, the decision point for me is going to be the 16th Nov high. I will see what to do with my trade if market can sustain above it. Before that 5625 is a major resistance too, NF needs to clear and stay above it before it can try and get to 16th Nov high of 5664.
Very Happy sirji your postings great help to me ... thank you very much Very Happy
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #59   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p_wangdu wrote:
Very Happy sirji your postings great help to me ... thank you very much Very Happy

Thanks.

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #60   PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short, medium & long term breadth are heading down. Short-term almost at the lows around -80%. I still think there is some downside left. But a move above 5670 on NF could turn things around for the short-term and if medium term & long term too turn up after that then maybe things could turn up for quite a while.

On Friday I rolled over my 5700 puts to Dec expiry, don't want to hold Nov puts in the expiry week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: