Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trading market breadth cycles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Trading market breadth cycles
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #61   PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's move, especially the force of the move, took me by surprise. I did have a mental stop for my puts around 5670 but I thought market would probably reverse around that level. It, of course, did not and it was clear 5-10 mins after open that market was not in the mood to reverse today. I shorted 5800 puts around Rs. 123 thus converting my 5700 puts to a bull put spread. It looks much better now but my breadth cycle trades have taken a good hit as I am net down Rs. 3400+ per lot. Lucky for me as I am trading quite small as I am just testing the signals. I am tempted to trade short-term but I will not as the whole idea of tracking breadth cycle is to get in on bigger trades. I will continue to do just that.

I like how market always pulls a fast one on me irrespective of whatever fancy stuff I try Very Happy

I will post breadth charts later today. I am extremely eager to see how breadth has changed due to this strong rally.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #62   PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST, looks like you shorted nov puts? if true, a gap down open (God forbid) will knock you the other way.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #63   PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
ST, looks like you shorted nov puts? if true, a gap down open (God forbid) will knock you the other way.

No, I shorted Dec 5800 puts. My long 5700 puts were already rolled over to Dec exp yesterday. These 5800 puts were to convert the whole trade bullish that I may be holding for the next few days, so no point going for Nov puts that are about to expire.

Gemini
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #64   PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ST,

Read both your thread with today's update. So much to learn, every time ! Thanks.

I noticed yesterday that a large number of stocks (EoD basis) had closed above their 5 days EoD value. May be that was an indication of change in sentiment ?

Please do keep us enriching with your guidance.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #65   PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemini wrote:
Dear ST,

Read both your thread with today's update. So much to learn, every time ! Thanks.

I noticed yesterday that a large number of stocks (EoD basis) had closed above their 5 days EoD value. May be that was an indication of change in sentiment ?

Please do keep us enriching with your guidance.

Gemini,

Thanks. It could be (many stocks closing above their 5 days highs/closes), I am not sure as I haven't checked. I usually look for such strength when we see a really oversold condition on the breadth chart (vice versa for overbought conditions). I was expecting another 1-2 days max sideways to down but we didn't get it. Breadth was still not totally down yet....well...maybe market taking off to the upside with the oversold condition itself maybe a good indicator of strength. In any case, I will be looking out for either extreme OB/OS on breadth for clearer indication. Until then I think we could be in a grinding range.

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #66   PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's breadth chart attached.

Market took off like a rocket. Short-term breadth up strong too. It had not yet reached oversold condition yet but it was almost there. The real test would be early Oct highs. Until we decisively clear those, we probably continue like this - up & down. I am not in a hurry, I will continue to try and align with the breadth & price trend until we see a big move. Capturing a big move is the point of this whole exercise. Until then the idea is to keep losses low and later capitalize on the bigger move.

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #67   PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which way is it going to be?
Gemini
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #68   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting chart.

I looked at Nifty 50 and found that out of 50, 28 stocks have bullish bias, with 10 stocks providing fresh buy signal ( closure above high of last 5 days). To me, this is an indication of overall bullish sentiments and indicate gap up opening tomorrow. Being derivatives expiray day, bulls will put all their might to crush bears.

It will be another interesting day out there on 29th. Market is the master !
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #69   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemini wrote:
Interesting chart.

I looked at Nifty 50 and found that out of 50, 28 stocks have bullish bias, with 10 stocks providing fresh buy signal ( closure above high of last 5 days). To me, this is an indication of overall bullish sentiments and indicate gap up opening tomorrow. Being derivatives expiray day, bulls will put all their might to crush bears.

It will be another interesting day out there on 29th. Market is the master !

Thanks for your hint about many stocks closing above 5 days high. It reminded me of a short-term version of the breadth chart that I had not been updating for a while. I pulled it up and updated it and it probably makes sense for me to keep an eye on it too. I have attached it here. It is very tempting but I do not want to trade too short-term, this chart would probably help me to hedge in time against an adverse move.

*** The chart below is a 13 days vs 5 days breadth chart (the usual one that I post is 50 days vs 13 days) ***

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #70   PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seen to be too extended at the moment. Short term breadth at the top. I think it is a good time to hedge the gains.

I closed out the Dec 5700-5800 bull put spread on friday around breakeven. I had also earlier took on a small position of Dec 5800 calls on Nov expiry day as I wanted more long delta and bull put spread was not providing much. I think Monday would be a good time to hedge the gains on these calls as we are extremely extended for the short-term. I will probably add on to the position if we get oversold on the breadth in the next few days.

Everything looks bullish at the moment so one just needs to be careful.

*** The chart posted below is short-term breadth ***

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #71   PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Long-term breadth update Reply with quote

The long term breadth held well during the sideways to down move since early Oct. Even the medium term breadth has recovered very well during the recent rally. This indicates no long-term deterioration is seen, at least at the moment, in the market.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #72   PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spread off my long calls today (sold higher strike calls against the ITM calls I am holding). I am expecting a mild pullback given the seemingly solid ground we are on (in terms of breadth) with long/medium/short breadth being positive. The bull call spreads that I am holding as a result of today's trade will still appreciate in value if the rally continues starting tomm and at the same time provide a limited hedge if we get a pullback. The expected pullback/consolidation would materialize only if we get a confirmation from price itself. So watching out for it at the moment....

*** I am using the attached short-term breadth chart to get slight early breadth signals. The downside, of course, is that the signals could be false/premature so I need to be careful.

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #73   PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Market up but short-term breadth down....stealth pullback in progress. Once this is over we could see the next leg up? maybe...
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #74   PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short-term breadth (13 day) continues to be strong, very short-term (5 day) going down since the last couple of days. If short-term holds, we could get a long re-entry to add to the long positions. I am holding the 5800-6000 call spread which has appreciated nicely. I will add on more long positions if we get a pullback as long as the overall breadth structure (long/medium/short) remains positive. I will consider closing long positions only if short-term breadth weakens (13 day breadth) along with price confirmation. For price confirmation I am watching hourly charts as the trades I have taken are of a shor-term nature (holding for few days to 2-3 weeks) and daily chart would be slow for this. Even though we have lost momentum in the last few days, things still look good for now. Next few days will give more clues to the near term direction.

If overall breadth holds positive I am looking for a small pullback in the next few days and a slightly deeper pullback into the end of this month which can give another opportunity for long positional trades. But that is too far and would depend on many things. Let us see how it goes....

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #75   PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pullback in very short-term breadth continues since 4th Dec but market itself has gone sideways since 5th. I am looking for a bottom in very short-term breadth indicator (red line) to add to my long position as long as the short-term breadth (blue line) holds. Short-term breadth too following down can give better prices but it remains to be seen how far this pullback will go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: