Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trading market breadth cycles
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Trading market breadth cycles
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Trading market breadth cycles Reply with quote

I am doing some live testing trading the market breadth cycles coupled with price confirmation. I am planning to post the trades here in this journal. Do note that all this is for your study/interest only. Even though I am actually trading these signals, I do so with tiny positions in a separate account dedicated for testing only. These are not calls, people should decide on their own and should not follow these signals blindly.

Market Breadth Cycles

The market breadth cycle charts I have built use advance/decline stats and other related stuff to chart the extremes to which market has moved. The idea is to identify market extremes and then position properly for subsequent moves. The actual signals come from price confirmations once the short or medium term trend has turned after hitting extremes.

I have two charts for this, one is the medium vs short term breadth cycle chart (this is the main one that I will be using for trading short-to-medium term) and other one is the long/medium/short term cycle chart which is for more higher level market analysis. The long term chart will be posted only once in a while if I see any significant long-term market trend shift.

I am posting both these charts to begin with. Please excuse me for the loud colours on the long term chart Very Happy

Current status : Short term cycle (red line) is cycling up indicating short-term up move even as the medium term (blue line) is beginning to roll down. I will go long with an ITM call (maybe 5600 CE) on Monday to trade this short-term cycle up. I will decide against going long only if the market does a complete U turn down on Monday. Unless we see a strong down move on Monday I will go long as mentioned above just before close or even earlier if market is too strong.

Let us see where this goes....

parva
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ST ,

Delighted to see you participating .....

Awaiting your calls...

Regards

PARVA

2guns 2guns 2guns
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".........I will decide against going long only if the market does a complete U turn down on Monday................."

ST, will you really change your stance with one day's U turn? Don't you think that's too short a time span? If so, theoretically, you may be required to change every day ....... more like whipsaws!

Just in case you haven't seen these, I am giving a few links

http://www.tradestation.com/en/education/labs/analysis-concepts/the-market-breadth-score

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aaii.com%2Fjournal%2Farticle%2Fmeasures-of-market-breadth-a-look-at-trading-statistics&ei=tCiWUOb4KoePrgfepIG4AQ&usg=AFQjCNEdHuJzsISEVudAAKdcfoIXBHx4nw&sig2=3BifNTSXGVFA2e3EVnH3rw

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/stocks/commentary/the-surprising-truth-about-market-breadth-3-powerratings-stocks-905442.html
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
".........I will decide against going long only if the market does a complete U turn down on Monday................."

ST, will you really change your stance with one day's U turn? Don't you think that's too short a time span? If so, theoretically, you may be required to change every day ....... more like whipsaws!

Just in case you haven't seen these, I am giving a few links

http://www.tradestation.com/en/education/labs/analysis-concepts/the-market-breadth-score

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aaii.com%2Fjournal%2Farticle%2Fmeasures-of-market-breadth-a-look-at-trading-statistics&ei=tCiWUOb4KoePrgfepIG4AQ&usg=AFQjCNEdHuJzsISEVudAAKdcfoIXBHx4nw&sig2=3BifNTSXGVFA2e3EVnH3rw

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/stocks/commentary/the-surprising-truth-about-market-breadth-3-powerratings-stocks-905442.html

I am not sure if you are serious or are you just pulling my leg (both about my stance and the links you have posted) Very Happy Anyway, here is my explanation:

Currently I am still in sell mode, short-term breadth cycle is turning up and I am preparing to go long. BUT we are still in the sideways range (though at the top of it preparing for a possible breakout to upside). A strong down day would put us back into the range and it would postpone my initiation of the long trade further by a couple of days or more (basically the current sell status is maintained). You have probably assumed that I am long and after a down day I will revert back to short prompting you to say I am reverting my stance on one day's move and would thus continue to whipsaw by changing stance everyday Very Happy come on man..... The idea of using breadth cycle is to eventually position for a longer move, there is no question of jumping in & out too frequently. I hope this makes things clear as it looks like you have completely misunderstood what I have posted. Anyway, my future posts will probably clear up these things further.

Thanks for the links, but those are about the usual advance/decline, trin, etc. I don't find those useful. I have worked on market breadth and related stuff a lot in the last few years. Most of these indicators need to be drastically modified to be useful today. The breadth cycles I have built remove a few issues that are there with the conventional breadth indicators. Not just that, these indicators also use data other than the conventional advance/decline data etc.

The last link you posted seems to outline the pitfalls of using breadth indicators. I think that info is for novices who use trin, advance-decline line, AD ratio etc, the conventionally used stuff for breadth analysis. That stuff does not give an edge anymore. I have used lot of other stuff along with AD data unconventionally. Trying to get an edge from that. Let us see...

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST, no, it wasn't leg pulling. You are right in that I did wrongly wonder whether one day's move would alter the stance.

It's good to know you are trying to develop something much more on breadth-based trading than currently available and that would surely have an edge.

One doubt though. If it's only the market breadth, then do you think whether over long term it will be kind of repetitive, somewhat like a simple harmonic motion? I am asking this because, even in a long term bull/bear market, there is a phase when breadth is extreme as cash based buying/selling is intensive and then it gradually tapers off as fno activity picks up and spreads over a much longer period than that for cash based buying/selling.
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
ST, no, it wasn't leg pulling. You are right in that I did wrongly wonder whether one day's move would alter the stance.

It's good to know you are trying to develop something much more on breadth-based trading than currently available and that would surely have an edge.

One doubt though. If it's only the market breadth, then do you think whether over long term it will be kind of repetitive, somewhat like a simple harmonic motion? I am asking this because, even in a long term bull/bear market, there is a phase when breadth is extreme as cash based buying/selling is intensive and then it gradually tapers off as fno activity picks up and spreads over a much longer period than that for cash based buying/selling.

Yes, that is the key problem with pure breadth data. The initial burst out of the bear market will take the breadth to extreme highs and from then on breadth slowly keeps going down as usually indicated by advance decline line. All during this time prices keep going up and AD line keeps going down.

To answer your question, over long term pure breadth will not be oscillating like the chart I have posted. I had to add other data and convert the data in such a way that it oscillates between +/- 100% indicating two extremes.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok great!
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
ok great!

Vinay,

So what is on 9th Nov (you mentioned in a forum thread)? Very Happy another one of your astro dates? The 4th Oct one was dead on target. End the suspense of 9th Nov!!!

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a small position of NOV 5600 CE @ 158.15 today about 30-35 mins before close as NF did show some strength before close and it did not go down too strongly in the morning session (NF got supported at BEAR level very well). I will consider closing this position for a loss if NF closes below 31st Oct lows as at that point the reason for initiating this trade will get negated.

Short-term market breadth cycle is heading up and that is the reason for this trade as mentioned in posts below. Watching medium term cycle closely. I am hoping it does not deteriorate much further. Any deterioration could take the market down further.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST, your loss would be substantial if 31/10 low is broken?
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinay28 wrote:
ST, your loss would be substantial if 31/10 low is broken?

If 31st Oct low is broken I would probably be down by about 50-55 pts per lot, but that is the worst case scenario (huge gap down or something like that). In any case, even if this worst case scenario happens and I have to exit, the loss will be less than 1% of my account equity. So it is okay.

In most cases I will adjust the trade well before the worst case scenario (if I can) if I sense market going down or short-term breadth cycle turns down.

vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya ok
SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With market trending up sharply, I have partially hedged the NOV 5600 CE position today by selling equal number of NOV 5800 CE @ 68.25.

The trade is now a bull call spread with max profit of Rs. 5.5K per lot and max loss of Rs. 4.5K per lot. The position will start to show loss if NF goes below 5685. I am treating the short calls as a partial hedge as of now. Will re-consider after looking at tomm's trading.

More later with breadth cycle chart...

SwingTrader
Site Admin

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Breadth cycle chart : A couple of days of upside is possible before a pause - short term breadth cycle is proceeding up well. This is just an estimate, not prediction. It can easily go on for few more days or turn down tomm. I will take it a day at a time.
vinay28
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......selling equal number of NOV 5800 CE......"

Smart move ST. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Trading Journals All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: