Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trading with indicators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author trading with indicators
rrk2006hyd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: trading with indicators Reply with quote

Trading with MACD(13,26,9)AND STS(13,3,3)

jcharts(5).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.58 KB
 Viewed:  631 Time(s)

jcharts(5).png

Last edited by rrk2006hyd on Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nareshusv
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear rrk
what you wanted to explain.

Smile naresh
grizzlybull
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all due respect, the moving average crossovers seem more effective and less "whipsawey"(if I may use that phrase) than the macd/stoch combo. (what parameters did you use for the moving averages,by the way?)

I experimented and backtested with the macd and stoch combo, it's a pretty good strategy. However you are looking for buy signals in a downtrending market, so many of the signals are not really practical, considering the macd is a double lagging indicator(a moving average of a moving average), and given the fact that advances in the downtrend(long term) last for a short time , not excusing any lag. they work very nicely as long as you know the main trend. (in the latest move we could have a long term reversal though, looking at the macd divergence Very Happy )

Personally, I feel the ma crossovers are better.

grizzlybull
grizzlybull
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the double post. additionally, an oscillator like the CCI will work as well.
rrk2006hyd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: trading signals with DMI And STS Reply with quote

Thanks friends for giving replys..

my intention is to find trading signals at any trend(downtrend or uptrend)..so..i'm experimenting with indicators...

here i'm using EMA 13,EMA 39 AND CCI(13) AND STS(13,3,3)..AND ..and i'm using DMI(13,39) for trend strength.

according to Mr.grizzlybull, working with CCI is also giving good signals..

waiting for replys

jcharts(1).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.97 KB
 Viewed:  529 Time(s)

jcharts(1).png

opportunist
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

MACD is a lagging indicator. It all looks great when you see in hindsight. So backtesting works well on it. But per se the MACD is not of much use. Now why then we have it? It is to give a broad trend of markets being oversold or overbought. Its turning points though act as good signals.

Regards,
Opportunist
grizzlybull
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opportunist wrote:
Hi all,

MACD is a lagging indicator. It all looks great when you see in hindsight. So backtesting works well on it. But per se the MACD is not of much use. Now why then we have it? It is to give a broad trend of markets being oversold or overbought. Its turning points though act as good signals.

Regards,
Opportunist

Yes, the turning points act as very good signals. That's because 0 line crossovers don't occur too often. However, what is a zero line crossing but an ma crossing?

Like I said before,the defect of lagging can be overlooked if the main trend is in your favour. No point in looking for bulls in a bear market, right?
grizzlybull
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: trading signals with DMI And STS Reply with quote

rrk2006hyd wrote:
Thanks friends for giving replys..

my intention is to find trading signals at any trend(downtrend or uptrend)..so..i'm experimenting with indicators...

here i'm using EMA 13,EMA 39 AND CCI(13) AND STS(13,3,3)..AND ..and i'm using DMI(13,39) for trend strength.

according to Mr.grizzlybull, working with CCI is also giving good signals..

waiting for replys

as seen in your diagram, overbought and oversold levels are quite similar.

Arrow Arrow

Basically the concept is to determine:

1. the ob/os state, as measured my the oscillator.
2. the momentum shift, as determined by the macd.

This works BEAUTIFULLY in the bull market for buy and sell, and in the bear market for short selling. So it is better to know the long term trend as I said, or for the case of day traders, the medium term or short term trend.

The market your looking at, ie the airtel counter, is not a good place to use your buy indication as it is a secular bear, plus it seems to be moving in a range, where buying near support would prove to be better.
rrk2006hyd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helloo..Mr.grizzlybull,may i know what indicators u r using to find trends? and
thanks for giving replys
waynegonsalves88
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

rrk2006hyd....how do get the buy and sell indicators on the candlestick charts??
grizzlybull
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrk2006hyd wrote:
thanks for giving replys

I just first use the long term ma, anywhere between 100 to 200 days (or 20 week to 40 week) .. weighted ma is prefered, it isn't as fast as the ema and isnt as slow as the sma.I try to find support/res. levels, breakouts, etc to find out the main trend, ie, is it advancing, declining , consolidating, basing, topping etc. then I try to identify medium term trends and decide when to buy and sell (or sell and buy, but I am yet to fill in the pmla form so i cant trade in F n O just yet) btw, I am a novice, just in case you are uncomfortable with taking advice from novices. Laughing It worked pretty well for cipla, jp associates, etc in the fag end of the bull run of 2009- 2010. plus I've never lost more than 1 - 2%. I used to use oscillators, but price action and ma are better.
rrk2006hyd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, rizzlybull, forums meant for sharing knowledge ..and anyone can give and take advices... and all are welcome here..thq

grizzlybull wrote:
rrk2006hyd wrote:
thanks for giving replys

I just first use the long term ma, anywhere between 100 to 200 days (or 20 week to 40 week) .. weighted ma is prefered, it isn't as fast as the ema and isnt as slow as the sma.I try to find support/res. levels, breakouts, etc to find out the main trend, ie, is it advancing, declining , consolidating, basing, topping etc. then I try to identify medium term trends and decide when to buy and sell (or sell and buy, but I am yet to fill in the pmla form so i cant trade in F n O just yet) btw, I am a novice, just in case you are uncomfortable with taking advice from novices. Laughing It worked pretty well for cipla, jp associates, etc in the fag end of the bull run of 2009- 2010. plus I've never lost more than 1 - 2%. I used to use oscillators, but price action and ma are better.
rrk2006hyd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST RIGHT CLICK UR MOUSE AND SELECT UP/DOWN ARROW ON UR CHART..AND CLICK ON WHERE U WANT TO PUT SIGNAL
waynegonsalves88 wrote:
hi all,

rrk2006hyd....how do get the buy and sell indicators on the candlestick charts??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: