Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOLUME and OI Interpretation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author VOLUME and OI Interpretation
saikat
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: VOLUME and OI Interpretation Reply with quote

It is a very testing time for TA. And in these kind of market it is of much importance that we not only monitor price but volume as well as OI also. I have tried to put some basic guidelines to help you to take your decisions more rationally.

Some simple guidelines for interpreting Volume and Open Interest:

If volume is relatively high while the market is going up and remains relatively low during corrections, the inference is that the market is in a strong uptrend, which should continue.

If volume is high while the market is going down and relatively light during upward retracements, then the market is weak with a continuing downward trend likely.

If both open interest and prices are increasing, then new buyers are being brought into the market with a strong technical picture unfolding. Expect the uptrend to continue.

If on the other hand, open interest is increasing while prices decline, short sellers have the upper hand in a technically weak market. As open interest is growing while prices decline, buyers are obviously the more aggressive party.

In the event of open interest declining while prices are also slipping, liquidation by long positions is the implication, therefore suggesting a technically strong market overall. In other words, the market is strong as open interest declining suggests no new aggressive shorts, as this would entail an increase in open interest.

When open interest is declining and prices are increasing, short covering is the most likely cause suggesting that overall the market is weak - i.e. attracting new buyers would be required for a technically strong market and consequently open interest would rise.

Regards,

Saikat
mayurnsk

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi saikatnandy

You are rocking man Very Happy .....expect many such posts from you. Just keep it up.

Nice and simple post from you once again Smile

Regards
Mayuresh Jahagirdar
Nasik
Maharashtra
SUNITbLL
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIR
I READ THE ARTICLE ON VOLUME AND OPEN INTREST THE ARTICLE IS USEFULL BUT I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TIMEFRAME SHOULD TAKE TO CONSIDER OPENINTREST i.e end of the day or weekly or monthly AND LAST CONDITION AS OI INCREASES AND PRICE DECREASE WHAT SHOULD I DO
KINDLY IF YOU REPRESENT IN TABULAR FORM THEN IT IS BEST
amitsaraf21
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Good statements and very much valid statements............

Challenge is to put these observations into our trading systems and strategies.

I strogly beleive right observation is one thing and making money out of it is different.

HAppy Trading

Amit
amitsaraf21
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Good statements and very much valid statements............

Challenge is to put these observations into our trading systems and strategies.

I strogly beleive right observation is one thing and making money out of it is different.

HAppy Trading

Amit
rameshkg
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Saikat,

I just gone through your below thread. It is wonderful information
which shared to us. Could you pls advise whether this study should
be done on EOD basis?

Thanks & Regards,
Ramesh kannan G
amitkbaid1008
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Saikat

I have asked this question to so many people but failed to get any satisfactory answer till date. As I read your post hope you will be able to give a satisfactory answer so thanks in advance.

My questions is that when there is buyer or seller for every trade in stock market, how one can decide that a particular trade is short or long. For every short trade there is a corresponding long trade or short covering trade. Then how one can say that shorts are building.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Technical Analysis All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: