Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do people always compare stock trading with gambling?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Why do people always compare stock trading with gambling?
nameeta26
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Why do people always compare stock trading with gambling? Reply with quote

I am quite confused if it is true or not. Please help!
nameeta26
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Please help! Reply with quote

I really want to know more about it. Please response.
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nameeta,
1 First a joke : my mother who passed away 10 years back saw me playing FREECELL cards game on screen. She shouted :Why are you gambling and that too during working hours? I replied: It is cards game for time pass, rearrange and win, also nothing going on in share market so ...
You see, different people see things differently!
2 Share market is NOT one thing
a) Cash market is very "dull and boring" esp if you are trading nifty 50
b) Cash market for penny stocks is very exciting as it is very close to gambling. You can lose all your money just like that depending on market operators
c) Futures and options (fno) : if you use for specific purpose then can benefit. For example orange grower can buy puts. If price collapses he will make money on put. Orange buyer (fruit juice maker) can buy call. If price shoots up he will make money on call
d) FnO: Buying and selling FnO just like that for speculation is similar to gambling and you can lose heavily (I HAVE lost heavily in 2010)
e) FnO at end of cycle: A friend of mine sells carefully selected nifty options and cash options on Friday 6 days before monthly expiry on last Thursday, and makes money when the option closes at zero
3 Do not speculate on currency. you are trading against experts employed by SBI, foreign banks etc who know more than you
4 Similarly DO NOT SPECULATE on commodities unless you know ABC of the commodity you want to trade: eg castor seeds: growing season, where else in world it grows, how price fluctuates, major buyers
JAI HIND, Prakash Holla
nameeta26
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I really appreciate the reply and find it very informational. But still confused as which is the least risky to trade?
Fisgas
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will call things whatever they like. You can't control the way they speak. However, i will give them one benefit that you are never certain what you are going to get in stock trading, maybe this is the reason they call it gambling. If you think about it, then every type of investment is a gamble.
pkholla
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: list Reply with quote

nameeta26 wrote:
I really appreciate the reply and find it very informational. But still confused as which is the least risky to trade?

START with top cash scrips : nifty 50, next 50 (51-100), top 200, top 500 as these are the safest eg ITC

See list enclosed . MAY be slightly old but 95% accurate

Cheers, Prakash Holla

NSELists.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  NSELists.xls
 Filesize:  104.5 KB
 Downloaded:  507 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Stocks All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: