Links
FAQs
Advertise Here
Charts (Old)
Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
  iCharts Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sebi vs. NSE data - who is correct

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Sebi vs. NSE data - who is correct
sandew
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Sebi vs. NSE data - who is correct Reply with quote

I reproduce below two news reports from business standard. first say FII net sellers Jan 7th, second says FII net buyers for Jan 7th. whom to believe

Can someone explain the anamoly?
Whom to believe?
Could it be deliberate misleading the public?

FIIs net sellers Rs 1,209cr in F&O on Thursday
BS Reporter / Mumbai January 08, 2010, 8:20 IST

According to the data released by the NSE, FIIs were sellers of index futures to the tune of Rs 944.06 crore while bought index options worth Rs 397.19 crore. However, they were net sellers of stock futures to the tune of Rs 657.01 crore while bought stock options worth Rs 5.41 crore

SECOND REPORT

DIIs net buyers of Rs 183 cr in cash mkt today
BS Reporter / Mumbai January 08, 2010, 18:09 IST

While DIIs made gross purchases of Rs 1,624.46 crore, gross sales totalled Rs 1,441.59 crore.

Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) were net buyers of Rs 69.38 crore today. While FIIs made gross purchases of Rs 3,240.20 crore, gross sales totalled Rs 3,170.82 crore.

FIIs were net buyers of Rs 302.10 crore on Thursday, January 7, according to data released by Sebi today. While FIIs made gross purchases of Rs 2,644.80 crore, gross sales totalled Rs 2,342.70 crore.

Mutual funds (MFs) were net sellers of Rs 406.60 crore on Thursday. MFs made purchases of Rs 579.90 crore and sales of Rs 986.60 crore.
amitkbaid1008
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sandew

Few points to be noted for interpretation.

First In first report only NSE F&O Data are compiled and the Cash Market Data

Second SEBI reports for all the exchanges which includes BSE also but NSE reports only its data in which BSE data not included.

Hope you got the doubt clear
sandew
White Belt
White Belt

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amit,
There are two issues.
First, such headlines swings the market. Headline pre-market is that FII sold over 1500 crores in a day - sure you are cautiously jittery if you are long and would boot on first opportunity. In reality the truth comes in the evening that FII were buyers not sellers. Who makes killing in with-holding / delaying correct information ? FII alone. Who helps them in spreading disinformation? You guess.. This is a common phenomenon occurrence which I feel SEBI or Ministry of Finance needs to look into.

Two, read the data carefully for Jan 7th. NSE says FII bought 400 crores and sold 1600 crores nett sold 1200 crores. The combined SEBI figure says FII bought 2600 crores and sold 2300 crores nett bought 300 crores.

Am i to believe the transaction of FII on BSE far exceeded NSE to wipe the deficit. ( NSE trade is more than BSE.) Simple calculation shows FII to buy 2200 crores on BSE and sell 700 cores on BSE - all on Jan 7th., to get the combined SEBI figure. ( This BSE trade volume is not possible.)

I smell a rat is here somewhere. Wait for revised figure .. picture abhi aur bhi hai !!
amitkbaid1008
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sandew

You raised the issue properly. I tried to reconcile the figures between NSE & SEBI. SEBI figures included some primary market data and also debt figures for Cash Market (including BSE figures too) and as expected figures were higher than NSE's standalone figures but for some like Index Futures sold figures were less than standalone NSE figures. I could not understand this.

However I feel that there may be some error on part of BS reporters.

For your reference I am attaching figures of NSE & SEBI which except Index Futures appears to be true.

20100107 FII Figures.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  20100107 FII Figures.pdf
 Filesize:  5.23 KB
 Downloaded:  885 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iCharts Discussions Forum Index -> Data All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: